Swollen eyes?

Dannnyboy

What do you guys think? Had someone tell me her eyes look swollen and now has me worried :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 184
Yes they do. I mentioned that on your last thread as did a few others. They shouldn't be puffy around the front and bottom like that. They look kind of puffy and saggy. I'm not sure what is causing that, someone more qualified could tell you better, but still they shouldn't be like that. A vet visit would be a good idea IMO.

Yes they do. I mentioned that on your last thread as did a few others. They shouldn't be puffy around the front and bottom like that. They look kind of puffy and saggy. I'm not sure what is causing that, someone more qualified could tell you better, but still they shouldn't be like that. A vet visit would be a good idea IMO.

Thanks, gonna have to take her to the vet tomorrow /:

Make sure you have the vet look at the jaw. The top jaw should meet the bottom jaw evenly. Your chameleon's bottom jaw is longer than the top one. I wonder if that deformity is caused by metabolic bone disease. Can and does she eat? The bottom right jaw also has swelling.

The head on shot shows a couple of swellings between the eyes. This is often indicative of a sinus infection.

I still think she has edema as well.

I'm really sorry I have worried you.

Have the vet also check for an upper respiratory infection as well sometimes it can affect the eyes as well.

Make sure you have the vet look at the jaw. The top jaw should meet the bottom jaw evenly. Your chameleon's bottom jaw is longer than the top one. I wonder if that deformity is caused by metabolic bone disease. Can and does she eat? The bottom right jaw also has swelling.

The head on shot shows a couple of swellings between the eyes. This is often indicative of a sinus infection.

I still think she has edema as well.

I'm really sorry I have worried you.
She eats like a champ, i feel so bad because I feel like maybe I have caused this :( I've only had her for 3 months so I'm wondering if she was sold like this to me. I bought her from a reputable reptile store here in Miami. I'm going to attach pics from when I got her and you let me know if you think she had the problems when I bought her. The pics below are 2 days after I first bought her, did she already have the puffy eyes and edema?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 228
She loos pretty good in the earlier pics. You need to go to the forums tab at the top of this page and then to the health clinic to fill out the "how to ask for help" form. Answer all the questions as best you can, then we might be able to help you.

She loos pretty good in the earlier pics. You need to go to the forums tab at the top of this page and then to the health clinic to fill out the "how to ask for help" form. Answer all the questions as best you can, then we might be able to help you.

While I agree about needing to have the help form filled out, I complete disagree that the cham looks any better. IMO she looks exactly the same.

While I agree about needing to have the help form filled out, I complete disagree that the cham looks any better. IMO she looks exactly the same.
When I blow the first pics up I agree her eyes look swollen, not sure they look as bad as now, but definitely swollen!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

• A female vieled Chameleon, it's about 6-8 months ago and been in my care for 3 months.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

• Have never really handled it, only when first brought home to put into her cage and about once or twice after that.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

• Give her about 10-15 crickets every other day. Gut loaded with fruits and veggies

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

• Using a zoo-med calcium w/o D3 every feeding, and have used with D3 once in my care. Reptile vitamins once in my care as well.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

• Had a Cham cantina, but just recently took it out, I spray about 2-3 times a day. I have yet to see her drink but her urates are always good.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

• A brown color, I put down a laying bin for a few days thinking she was Gravid as she kept walking around the bottom. But she started eating the Eco earth substrate I had so I removed it. He poop late have been bigger and football shaped since. Very full of the Eco earth, not sure how much she ate of it.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

• Med reptibreeze

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

• Dual done with 5.0 reptisun and 60W basking bulb

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

• Basking spot about 90-92
  • About 75-80 in the floor
  • With two probe thermometers

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

• Highest about 70-80%, but normally between 50-60%. I have a reptifogger which I turn on for about an hour a day. And I have a probe hygrometer

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

• No live plants so far, only fake foliage

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

• I have the cage in my room, not near and fans or vents but I would say a high traffic area.

• Location - Where are you geographically located

• Located in Miami Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I posted a picture about a different reason and everyone stated that her eyes look puffy and she might have slight edema. She's been a dark color lately unless her cage is completely covered. These pictures were taken right now, she is sleeping so I apologize for the bad photos

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 180
Dannyboy, yes, the eyes look swollen when you bought her Her jaw looks wrong as well. Looking at your pictures again, I wonder if she has a sinus infection (the two swellings on her forhead between her eyes and the swollen eyes) as well as a mouth infection.

She really needs to see a vet.

Hey Dannyboy,

Definitely seek treatment from a vet and keep your hopes up.

I dealt with a very serious eye situation with my first cham, a wc jacksons ( Mr. Lahey ). I learned a lot as i went and attaching a few pictures of what i was dealing with. It was a very extreme case, as you can see, and it happened very quickly - 72 hours from first signs of inflamation to the image attached.

A trained vet and proper treatment can work wonders. With that first pic we didnt know if mr. Lahey was going to make, never mind saving the eye. Today, the only trace of Mr. Lahey's infection is some saggy skin that gets better everyday, his eye is great, he hunts like a champ.

All the advice above is very very good. Looks like edema, which may require an antibiodic. Find a vet with reptile experience ( i know this can be difficult based on location ), and stay on top of it. If you're diligent and catch this early, you should be ok.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom