The big deal

Rubiks

So I am interested in getting a cham which type not sure yet. Have been through this site alot and read basically everything there is to read. What i am not sure of is why is it so hard to have a chameleon or is it really that hard. I have had all types of reptiles and cared for them as you are suppose to, to the extreme. All reptiles i have all live very happy, What is the big deal with having a chameleon if you have all the goods to have one. Years ago i liked them but hesitated on getting one do to the care, but know that i have had all types of reptiles it seems like just another reptile to have as a pet. Just alot bigger than any reptile i have had. Seems that a chameleon would be more personable than say a frog or smaller lizard. If i have done all the research and care for this chameleon as should, is really that hard. Thanks

If you start with chameleons I would begin with a veiled or a panther chameleon. The point with chameleons is that it's hard to tell when they are haveing problems and when they finally show problems they mostly die very fast. If you are more experienced you know how to see the problems faster so you can do something about it. compared to a bearded dragon or something chameleons are way easier stressed out, and stress can kill them eventually. On of the most important things is too make sure you have everything right before you purchase a chameleon. The right size and type of cage, the right temperatures, the right UVB lamp etc. A good start is half of the work. If you start wrong and the chameleon gets sick it can quickly be over.

they really arent all that much more personable just because of the stress they undergo from being handled. Gotta remember, they pry think your going to try and eat them eventually. I dont think the care is too hard at all. The hardest part is getting your set up right, which still isnt bad at all. If you shop around you can get your whole setup for less than $200 and have yourself a happily little animal

it's not that they are hard. It's that in comparison to most other reptiles, they require more work. You can't go 3-7 days without messing with them in some way like say a snake. They require daily attention, either it be feedings or mistings, you are guaranteed to have your hands in their cage at least 2 times a day, often more.

For your first, def get a veiled or a panther.

I dont want to reiterate exactly the 3 previous posts, but another thing to add if you want a more personable reptile i would go with either a beardie or a chinese water dragon. Based on my experience with them (especially my CWD) he will crawl upp my arm and perch on my shoulder. He just sits there and enjoys the view. I love my chams though. There are some that dont want anything to do with me and other that will crawl out on my hand, but they dont really care to perch on me as they just want to climb as high as they can. If you want a cham go for you, i think you are ready if you have had other reptiles for years.

I have everything there is needed to take care of cham, would have one now but was not able to go to rep show last week, one in december though will be going to that one hopefully. Thanks for all the feedback i appreciate it.

Taking a cham is like taking a girlfriend.

You fall for one, mines a Melleri, make it through a couple of days, then do what ever it takes to keep em, if you want too.

It's more keeping a chameleon alive without any research done before hand.

With a bit of research keeping chams isn't hard at all.

I have everything there is needed to take care of cham, would have one now but was not able to go to rep show last week, one in december though will be going to that one hopefully. Thanks for all the feedback i appreciate it.

where are you located?? Im sure there is a breeder close to you that will have a cham for cheaper than at an expo.

Personally I would start out with a panther, but thats just me. The veilds i used to have just bit me alot and did not seem to appreciate their caretaker. I know this is not true with all veilds or even most but it is just what happened to me. Every single chameleon has a different personality regardless if it is the same species as someone elses. I have two pnthers that run to the front of the cage when I go downstairs and expect either to be let out and to crawl on me or to be fed. Then I have two that are completely terrified of me and turn into "leaves" when I'm around. Two more that are super viscious and just hiss and fire up everytime i walk by. Finally there is my 14mo male CH Blue Bar Ambilobe who for some reason is obsessed with my dog. It's very weird but if I take him out and my dog is insight he leaves me and crawls to the dog and rides atop my black labs head for anywhere from 5mins to over an hour one time. I can always tell when he wants to get down as he randomly starts to hiss and bites the top of my dogs head. So like I said they all have different personalities and you just have to hope for a nice one, or a biter if thats what you're into. Lol. Certain ones handle stress better. I've heard that they are generally nicer if you raise them from babies but it seems to be the opposite of mine. All the 10mo+ ones I've gotten from The Chameleon Company are the friendliest to me. Good luck. Once you get one you'll have more... trust me.

Justin

I am from pa around the allentown area usually go to the hamburg reptile show at least it is where i have purchased most of the reps i have had and have. I have meaning to ask if there was anyone in the process of breeding chams or have a couple month olds in the area it would be alot easier.

I got my first Cham a month ago. I have had a few other reptiles before but was still a little nervous about taking care of chams. Well I bought one anyway(8 month panther) and I couldnt be happier the care isn't hard IMO and mine is pretty friendly and doesn't mind coming out and free ranging or being hand fed.

I don't know why i am nervous of getting one probably do to what people say on having one pros and cons Like you did i will just get one.

Everyone is a newbie with chameleons the first time. Yes, they can be more work than other reptiles. Yes, they are frequently purchased by people who think they know how to care for them but dont and the cham dies. But if you do actually do your research and have a proper, tested set-up, consult with people who already know what they are doing, are willing to spend what it take to keep the cham healthy, well then there is no reason not to go for it!

While you are waiting to buy the chameleon, get its enclosure and everything else set up first. test the temps, humidity etc over a few weeks, and get that all perfect. Tells us about what you've done, ask for input.

Sandrachameleon offers some great advice

Everyone is a newbie with chameleons the first time. Yes, they can be more work than other reptiles. Yes, they are frequently purchased by people who think they know how to care for them but dont and the cham dies. But if you do actually do your research and have a proper, tested set-up, consult with people who already know what they are doing, are willing to spend what it take to keep the cham healthy, well then there is no reason not to go for it!

While you are waiting to buy the chameleon, get its enclosure and everything else set up first. test the temps, humidity etc over a few weeks, and get that all perfect. Tells us about what you've done, ask for input.

This way, you can adjust basking temps and humidity without having to disturb your cham while he/she adjusts to his new surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom