The start of something new

DaSlackMan

This will be a long term project. Or at least I am saying this now.;)

Looking to get 2 24X24X48 aluminum screen cages from LLL. Below is the stand that I am looking to place them on. They should fit perfectly side by side.

Attachments

• cherryfrontnr.jpg
    cherryfrontnr.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 252
  • cherryopennr.jpg
    cherryopennr.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 245
  • nr.jpg
    nr.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 230
Here's the canopy that I plan to use. It will rest on top of the cages. I plan to use 1 Zoo Med 48" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb and maybe a Phillips plant grow bulb. A section of the canopy is removable. This will allow me to place basking lamps while still using the canopy.

Attachments

• topcanopynr.jpg
    topcanopynr.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 248
  • canopysanspanelnr.jpg
    canopysanspanelnr.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 177
  • canopyundersidenr.jpg
    canopyundersidenr.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 212
Isn't having the cages that close together bad because they will be able to see one another? And... they... will be sad about seeing one another?

He just needs to put something between the cages. I bought some aquarium paper stuff on a roll. It gives that green leafy look while preventing them from seeing each other and it is plastic coated so the spray doesn't ruin it.

Good news and bad news. The good news. I picked up 2 2x2x4 aluminum cages (dark bronze) from LLL today. They look pretty darn sharp on the stand.

The bad news. I can not use the lighting retro fit that is installed in the canopy for they take VHO bulbs. Way to bright for chams.

Good news and bad news. The good news. I picked up 2 2x2x4 aluminum cages (dark bronze) from LLL today. They look pretty darn sharp on the stand.

The bad news. I can not use the lighting retro fit that is installed in the canopy for they take VHO bulbs. Way to bright for chams.

Uh, yeah just a little too bright.....:rolleyes: lol :D

Have you been to the UV Guide website?

I guess, "...way to bright." was an understatement..:D

Thanks for the link. Good info. I now need to get a regular strip light hood or two. I pretty much have every hood you can think of (power compact, MH, VHO....) Everything but one that will power a normal 5.0 flourescent bulb.:mad:

I guess, "...way to bright." was an understatement..:D

Thanks for the link. Good info. I now need to get a regular strip light hood or two. I pretty much have every hood you can think of (power compact, MH, VHO....) Everything but one that will power a normal 5.0 flourescent bulb.:mad:

Home Depot has a fixture for like 8 bucks that holds two 48" tubes. You can put one 5.0 and then an indoor 'grow' light in the other spot. Be sure to make an aluminum foil hood to help direct that UVB down into the cage.

This will be a long term project. Or at least I am saying this now.;)

Looking to get 2 24X24X48 aluminum screen cages from LLL. Below is the stand that I am looking to place them on. They should fit perfectly side by side.

What was that prior? A bathroom vanity? That looks pretty sharp for a cham base.;) I'm looking forward to the finished set-up. :)

-Jay

Nvrmind...*looks closer*...Fish tank stand I assume..??

Last edited:
Just don't forget to put something in between the two cages so the chams housed in the cages can't see one another.
On my to do list. Thinking about black plexiglass. I'm a bit worried that it will still reflect enough for the cham to see its own reflection...

On my to do list. Thinking about black plexiglass. I'm a bit worried that it will still reflect enough for the cham to see its own reflection...

If it does I think there is a safe paint you can use to stop the shine, if not, there should be something somewhere to fix it.

that looks awesome! good job! its always so cool when people can accommodate all the needs of their chams and still make their cage look awesome..

One of my ideas was to "scar/scratch" the plexiglass with sandpaper in order to elimate the reflection issue. Another was to apply coco fiber.

why don't you just get that jungle background plastic paper used for back of fishtanks?
I actually looked at some of the plastic paper at Petco yesterday. Being so flimsy I would still need to tape it on to someting more sturdy. I have some of the black plastic paper on the back of one of my tanks. It's a bit scratched up but still has some reflection properties... That's where I got the ideas of just scratching up plexiglass. Starting to really lean towards the coco fiber on plexiglass. I found of brick of it in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom