The U.K and Chameleons.

RinsCookie

Hey, i'm new to this whole chameleon game but ive been researching for a while now. But trying to keep this great hobby over her in the U.K is so frustrating. I bought a lovely little male Veiled Cham i named him Stephen i've just seen him shed for the first time and he is eating and drinking well so i am quite happy with the little guy. The pet shop i bought him from is the same place i bought my enclosure are annoying i was sold a glass exo terra cage with screen top (2x2x4) I haven't had any problems as of yet. I was told yeah it's fine to keep the guy in at least for a year. Erm.. Okay new to the game i thought oh wow thats great thank you very much.

Now i cant find any decent screen enclosures (going part glass part screen.) and i'm looking in to building my own which i have to say im quite looking forward to. I guess i'm just wondering if any other UK cham owners have had the same experience and to swap information about good UK based supplies of equipment etc.

:3
Stephan says "Hi."

394741_2441925858503_1562527817_31941842_1459500561_n.jpg

Hi, I also live in the uk and have a 4 month old panther named Wilfred
2012-01-20 10.43.45.jpg

I have a custom made cabinet with glass doors which is well ventilated at the back
2012-01-20 10.42.42.jpg

Screen enclosures don't seem to be popular in the uk (too cold). I was thinking of setting up a little free range for him to have supervised days out for some fresh air. Also in the summertime I am going to get one of these - Exo Terra Explorarium
Exo terra Explorium.jpeg
and he can sunbathe with me in the garden :D I don't think its available in the uk but i have found it on ebay. I get most of my equipment from the internet (cheaper) and everything else from my local reptile store (Cold Blooded) as they do great deals for me :cool:
Your little Stephen is very cute! Where about's do you live in the uk? Im in the essex area.

Im in the u.k as well, Newcastle upon Tyne.. anyway I have two chams one free ranged and the other in an all screen viv. Having experienced both mesh and glass vivs they both work just as well but I do prefer screen as they have more height and great air flow which is better for chams. Some say it's hard to get the right humidity over here in screen but I haven't found that personally, but if you were to go with screen you can cover 3 of the sides with either clear plastic or towels if you have humidity problems. Surreypetsupplies online are great, good prices. You can get proper chameleon screen vivs starting at £40 to £90 if im correct, they are the cheapest I've found.

Cheers for the reply guys and girls. I live in the south east to answer the question. I've bought a few things online as the prices seem to be a lot better than the instore prices which is good.

I looked at the explorium before i got my cham they just look so cool and yeah have lovely sun baths together. Haha the link you gave with the information is quite reassuring as alot of the thread on this forum tend to imply if you have a glass cage your cham will die. D: I know screen cages are all round better though and i can't wait to build my half and half. :3

I know screen cages are all round better though and i can't wait to build my half and half. :3

Yeah that's your best bet, building your own is fun, satisfying and you can have it exactly how you want. Good luck and keep us updated!

Ello mate I'm from Essex had a flexarium full mesh cage n didn't have any problems with heat or humidity I just got a sheet of corrugated plastic an fixed it in to the back to keep the water spray inside :)

Hello from Ireland! When I got my first panther I built the enclosure as I wasn't happy to use a glass one, even with mesh on the top. Basically a wood frame and wood back with mesh all around, 120x60x60cm . It worked fine but it was just bit too heavy if I needed to move it, so I ordered an aluminium screen cage from LLL Reptile, impossible to find a screen cage in Ireland too.. I'm delighted with it!!
But If you can build your own, it is a great fun! Keep us posted and good luck!:)

Yeah they have had the EXO TERRA Flexarium thingy on sale in a couple of reptile centres i've been too was thinking about buying one but i heard they are quite bad at preventing escapes as i free roam my feeders. So obviously that put me off a bit nobody wants to come home to feeders hopping around everywhere. Anyone got any tips for building and drainage etc?

I use the Reptibreeze XL's for my Chams. They are great and Surrey Pet Supplies do them at the best price.

Air flow is the key thing. Many glass/wooden vivariums can lead to illness for the Chameleon if the necessary ventilation isnt provided.

People that struggle with humidity attach things to 1 or 2 sides of the screen. I have heard people using shower curtains or sheets of perspex to help keep humidity up.

I found the layout of a lovely viv today which has help speed things along. Back is going to be solid two sides are going to be screen and the front either glass or plexi. Looking forward to building it over the next couple of months. OH! while i have people here i know its not the right thread etc. But does anyone know any reptile vet people persons in the south east? Just in case (my little guy is just fine.)

Hey there is a reptile vet in hampshire, dunno how close that is ta u? She's in farnborough. I've not bin to her yet but only because I've not had to but I hear she's gud. X

Back
Top Bottom