Tips on Cup Feeding?

xbrokenbabydoll

I never thought I would have this problem.

I have an almost 2 year old Male Veiled who has been cup-fed since he was hatched out.

However I recently acquired 3 new Chameleons (2 Jacksons & 1 Veiled), and the person I got them from free-cage fed and only gave them crickets that were way too big :(

I've been trying to get them to eat Dubia Roaches from a cup that's attached to their cage, the cup & Roaches has gone un-touched for over a week. I've tried holding the Roaches and slowly moving them closer for the Chameleons to see, but they just stare at me and never the Roach, I've also tried slowly moving the cup of Roaches towards them with same reaction. (I have also tried this with smaller mealworms)

Night before last I broke down and bought some Crickets, dug a smaller (more secure) screen cage out, hung some plants and let the crickets loose. (The cages that they came with close secure but there are some gaps where free-range insects can get out.) anyway, I moved the Female Jackson's over for 2 hours, when I went back to check all the crickets were gone (I put 10 in the cage), so I did the same with the Male Jackson's & then Female Veiled with the same results.

To say the least I am relieved that they've eaten something! However I am so used to cup-feeding I feel out of my element and didn't know if there were tips/tricks to getting these guys to eat out of cups?

Any advice is welcome :)

Not all chameleons will cup feed. My veiled absolutely refuses to eat from my hands and he's a very friendly veiled. Some just prefer to hunt an be alone when they eat. Letting things like a few crickets loose in the enclosure is a good thing because hunting creates stimulation. I do out worms in a bowl though because otherwise they might never find them and they would probably all cocoon in the plant pots. ( which has happened to many people) not that it's a big issue they will come out of the cocoon and they chameleon will eat them in time but It takes away from their dinner that day.

I actually just started experimenting with this today. Giving the insects something to crawl around on, not hide in but crawl on helps lure them to the cup. Providing visiblity seems to be a big factor. Providing enough sticks on the top to have multiple angles to launch their tongue rocket from also seems to help.

The biggest problem I have is their apprehension to bright colors(white included) and plastic. Covering the worm cup with leaves is helping to combat this. But like was said, some chams just dont like to cup feed. They will however eat from anything once they get to that point of hunger. Which I think is kind of mean but yea... I wish you luck and hope that someone wishes me the same because I had no idea what I was getting into taking on two TINY baby veileds last night

I actually just started experimenting with this today. Giving the insects something to crawl around on, not hide in but crawl on helps lure them to the cup. Providing visiblity seems to be a big factor. Providing enough sticks on the top to have multiple angles to launch their tongue rocket from also seems to help.

The biggest problem I have is their apprehension to bright colors(white included) and plastic. Covering the worm cup with leaves is helping to combat this. But like was said, some chams just dont like to cup feed. They will however eat from anything once they get to that point of hunger. Which I think is kind of mean but yea... I wish you luck and hope that someone wishes me the same because I had no idea what I was getting into taking on two TINY baby veileds last night

I use see through cups when I put out worms. Although my boys are fed in the morning and usually basking and see me put the worms in so that helps. The only time I hand feed is when I give my panther fruit. But for the most part I don't find it necessary because my boys are friendly and come out of their enclosures by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom