Tongue falling out! Serious help needed

Well latest from today is he has managed to keep his tongue in place for quite a while so they going to see how it goes. They are reluctant to amputate with him being so young so may be coming home for recovery and see how he can manage. If necessary may still get removed

Well latest from today is he has managed to keep his tongue in place for quite a while so they going to see how it goes. They are reluctant to amputate with him being so young so may be coming home for recovery and see how he can manage. If necessary may still get removed

Missed this yesterday. So glad he is being given the chance to recover himself.:)

Well spike is now home for recovery. We have been given some carnivore food to feed him with a syringe for a couple of days to give his tongue a bit of time to recover and then we can offer him small crickets and see how he gets on. Vet suggested adding the calcium powder to the mistings as another way to get more into him. Does anyone else do this? He said gut load crickets with it, sprinkle on before feeding and put it in dropper and mister. In nearly 30 years of being a reptile vet he has never had a chameleon overdosed on calcium always lacking in it.
Fingers crossed his tongue stays in place and gets back to normal

Vet suggested adding the calcium powder to the mistings as another way to get more into him. Does anyone else do this?

Not a great idea at all, he will want to clean his eyes with that water too........
Also, it will be very diluted and they don't drink a huge amount anyway. It really won't get much calcium into him.
It's important that the everyday calcium has no d3 (the Komodo powder that I use is plain calcium, but I'm not sure how many other products they make..).
Just for further info. this is a great blog on gutloading - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
Well respected commercial gutloads include Repashy Bug Burger, but fresh too is best of course.
Alternative feeders - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

I would add the calcium to the mix you are syringe feeding him. Just a very small amount that you would normally dust with.

Back
Top Bottom