Tongue Test

Chali2naRap

I found this very interesting. tongue testing among chameleons remains an enigma. all species, ages and genders of chameleons press a bilobed organ near the front of the tongue against objects for a moment. The organ has no function in feeding. Because chameleons wipe the cloaca on branches after defecating some researchers speculate that the tongue test may pick up chemecal messages.

I have never seen my xanth do this, but my ambilobe does it constantly.

I assumed it is to see if other chameleons/animals have been on the branch.

Maybe this is what my chameleon does i thought he was trying to bite yhe glass but he licks it whithhis tounge at the same time

None of my 3 Veileds ever did it and nor does my Jackson. I have heard of other people on here with Panthers experiencing this though.

That is very interesting!!!! My Panther does it all the time too and i also thought she was drinking. Before my girl will put four feet on a surface she seems to do the tongue test... "i must taste it for safety..."

Yeah, this is a very interesting behavior that is not fully understood. Part of the issue is that a number of studies on the vomernasal (Jacobson's) organ in chameleons have shown that the organ is either vestigial, rudimentary or completely absent, which would render detection of such smells/tastes difficult. There are other studies, however, that have found fairly well developed vomernasal organs in some species. Personally, I've seen this behavior in Bradypodion, Furcifer, and Kinyongia. Of these three genera, I'm only aware of the vomernasal organ in one having been examined and it was found to be well developed in them. I suspect we would find the same of the other two if they were examined.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom