Triceros mouth

thanks for all the advice from every one. the light fixture i have in there is a double dome but i use a 75 watt black light at night on the other side. So if i take it out of the enclosure and somehow get it suspended a little higher and angled off the one side of it then should i use one side for a UVB bulb and the other for heat or should i just keep the merc vape? i also have a fan the runs the whole length up and down of the enclosure and its constantly blowing air right into his basking area, could this possibly be cooling it down for him? ive had him in this set up for almost two months now so if damage is done it probably already is unfotuantely but ill need to just improvise. thanks again

Id love to see pics of the cham.

No heat at nite is needed.
A temp drop of at 10F is ggod, and stimulates their metabolism.
They can handle fairly cold temps at nite as well, I dont go past 50F, but low 40s wont kill them. As long as they can warm up proper during the day.

The fan could explain the temps, and him not literally cooking! :eek:

Air movement is good, but you dont want the fan right on him, just in the room maybe would be fine.

I would use the one side for heat, and the other for UVB yes!
That would be the best option atm. ;)

ill get some nice pics of him in sunlight in about a week and message you, and the fans about 5 feet away from his basking area and i run it on low. i run my ceiling fan on high and my windows constantly open, as well as spraying him like 8 times a day :D but i really do want to know what the temp is in it atm and if its too high im going to take immediate precaution

Id love to see pics of the cham.

No heat at nite is needed.
A temp drop of at 10F is ggod, and stimulates their metabolism.
They can handle fairly cold temps at nite as well, I dont go past 50F, but low 40s wont kill them. As long as they can warm up proper during the day.

The fan could explain the temps, and him not literally cooking! :eek:

Air movement is good, but you dont want the fan right on him, just in the room maybe would be fine.

I would use the one side for heat, and the other for UVB yes!
That would be the best option atm. ;)

Tottaly AGREE :D i do think the fan may be what saved your temps but SS's suggestions are what i would do

my jackson is super light green all the time and faintly yellow on his side. i see a lot of pictures of jacksons being dark, and i read that lightening of color is a sign of overheating. should he be more dark green or is lime green/yellow typical?

the real light green is a sign of them being hott, very dark color indicate cool so u are shooting for a mid green at most times,
goes right along with the thought about your temps being hi

dam, poor little guys been roastin his nuts off it seems. ill be getting temps tommorow for sure. pictures soon :D

Well, a heat bulb, and a fan is all you need to make a dehumidifier.
Its a challenge to keep them from drying out to much period, as we are all working with these to elements some how or another(basically).
So you may have been making cham-jerky:eek:

No fear though, you now have appropriate information, so just need to make the changes ;)

Im glad you asked questions!

Im sure the fan did save him though, and if he made it 2 months without killing over, I think theres a chance the "damage" was minimal.

The learning curve is steep with these animals. My first cham was a female jackson, and Im very surprised she survived through what I put her through :p

Thank god for CF...

o ya ive deffinately taken the whole dehumidifying into consideration. i actually placed the fan on the side where my two foggers are, i run both on high during the day allong with spraying him with two bottles at once for a few minutes straight a bunch of times a day. im going to snap a few nice pictures with my daylight being on and all and ill post them on this thread. maybe itll give a little more insight to what im working with. also, is there any particular reason you dont recomend the spanish moss that i have in there?

Normally I would caution against using the humidifiers 24/7, or even just all the time that the lights are on. You want dry periods in between the wet periods with a montane. (as apposed to say, a panther where you want wet periods in between the dry periods)
Having a wet side and dry side is fine(as long as the wet side dries out occasionally), but if its filling the cage up with fog, and staying like that, that would be bad.

I cant give a really good reason to remove the spanish moss really:eek:
Its just something I would do :)
I have never seen anyone else use it, and it seems like it would be messy, but I cant say its unsafe(or that it is).
:p

got some down time to snap these pics. you can see in one how my fan is on the same side as the foggers, it blows the fog inwards to his basking spots and everything and i was hoping this would help with the dehydrating aspect of it. other pics are the best of what i could get of him w/o taking him out. also got a nice top view of him in his normal basking spot. let me know if theres any room for improvement other than the lights being on the outside instead of the inside ;) hope you enjoy :D

Normally I would caution against using the humidifiers 24/7, or even just all the time that the lights are on. You want dry periods in between the wet periods with a montane. (as apposed to say, a panther where you want wet periods in between the dry periods)
Having a wet side and dry side is fine(as long as the wet side dries out occasionally), but if its filling the cage up with fog, and staying like that, that would be bad.

I cant give a really good reason to remove the spanish moss really:eek:
Its just something I would do :)
I have never seen anyone else use it, and it seems like it would be messy, but I cant say its unsafe(or that it is).
lol o gotcha, i actually got all the moss pretty secure, the way i had to set this thing up was to build from the outside in, so basically all the leaves on the wall are whats holding up everything and i very large piece of driftwood is mostly what i built off of to get the middle filled up, the moss just kind of tied everything together, i know it sounds crazzy but its a sick set up, just wish the light situation wasnt so bad :mad: but i run them on high all day and at night ill run them on low but they do run 24/7

(First off, I like your sig)

He looks like a healthy little guy:)

Thats a good idea with the fan.
I would not run the fan all the time though.

I dont really see anything else to mention.

Is there any way to get a pic where we can see what the inside is setup like? Like a full pic from the side maybe?

You know, since you are doing things "your own way" its hard to suggest much, as any changes may destroy the balance you have tried to create.

2 months is enough time for some problems to show, but not long enough for others. So I cant say in good conscious that you should keep doing what your doing. While its a valiant effort, I can only recommend what I know works, and will keep the animal healthy.

GET THAT LIGHT OUT OF THERE!

(First off, I like your sig)

He looks like a healthy little guy:)

Thats a good idea with the fan.
I would not run the fan all the time though.

I dont really see anything else to mention.

Is there any way to get a pic where we can see what the inside is setup like? Like a full pic from the side maybe?
Thanks :D. and i really do want to get the temp measurement before i move it. In the mean time i can life the light about 7 more inches up and just zip tie it, it just hangs from a clip thats connected to the top at the cone. - so, basically its a huge variation of leaves, a couple different types of bendi-vines twisted thru, thats holding up the huge piece of driftwood which i then layered more leaves toped off with spanish moss. heres pics. 1. front side looking back and into the dense leaves, hidden driftwood. 2. bottom of the driftwood going up diagnally into the heavy brush. 3. top view of driftwood going down the the midlle level which is suspended and held up by everything in the outside. 4. Mary Jane covering the driftwood :p 5. fogger/fan side showing is basking spots on the other side. --- also i do only run the fan during daylight hours for him. BTW- any input on how old he is, guy that sold him to me didnt know.

Do what you like:rolleyes:

I wanted to make sure he had enough climby things and such.
I would go grab some sticks from outside and toss them in there.
JMO ;)

Also, you would have a lot more room to work with if you removed the light ;)

Just sayin...

Keep me updated man!

i would, but the thing is theres pesticides in my neigbourhood. also i literally just walked into my room, the fan was on low and my ceiling fan was on and it was a little chillier than normal in my room. what do you know, a day after posting this thread and its the first time ive seen him not physically touching the fixture but he was at the very top chillin on the cord that runs out of it. i turned the fan off and he came down, luckily didnt touch the light fixture. this makes me want to get these temps measured now, the only thing i could think of that would make him do that is that he might have been cold? i actually just recently started using the side fan but have always used my celing fan... maybe he got cold?

Wait, he usually touches the fixture? Or he doesnt and was touching it today?

If he was touching it, he could have been cold, but if he was above the fixture it would make me think he was to hot:confused:

no he never even goes near the fixture, in order to get up there he has to crawl up the mesh, my room was chillier than normal and i ran the fan on the side of his cage on low, and when i came back he was on the cords running out of the fixture. never have seen him up there before. i also just started using that side fan this week...

Back
Top Bottom