Trimming claws..?

lespaul232

Does anyone clip the claws of their chameleons, or a least the larger ones like veileds? I've never done this as I've only kept Jackson's and they stay small, but with my new veiled Jade, she sure has some talons! If I'm cleaning her cage too I let her walk on my arm or shoulder and if she wants I get pretty bad scrapes, not to the point where it's drawing blood but dam they sure do leave marks all over haha

No do not clip their nails. They need them for gripping and holding onto branches and such. There is a reason why they are long like that.

Like carol said, do not try this, there is a tiny blood vain going threw the middle of each claw, it would be to easy to cut too far and cause bleeding because you can not see the vain.

If your chams claws are too long, you can do what they do for birds, get a sand covered perch. That way, they can naturally file the claws down.

I have never had that problem, but I'm sure a sandy perch would work fine.

Like carol said, do not try this, there is a tiny blood vain going threw the middle of each claw, it would be to easy to cut too far and cause bleeding because you can not see the vain.

If your chams claws are too long, you can do what they do for birds, get a sand covered perch. That way, they can naturally file the claws down.

I have never had that problem, but I'm sure a sandy perch would work fine.

Id probably do sand paper, sand will just move around, wrap sand paper around a branch.

They make special sand paper tubes that you can slip over a branch for birds.
Just go to the pet store bird supplies.

Oh ok yea I didn't clip her claws and was kusum curious. I never heard of sand tubes or anything, do you think just maybe taping sand paper over the stick would work ok?

Consider the tiny minor scrapes you get on your arms as a small price you pay to be one of the honored members of the " I am a proud owner of a chameleon club"

Back
Top Bottom