Trip home

Kimmers

Big IF! ... I bring a baby cham home from the reptile show in two weeks I have a three hour trip home. Currently it is snowing and will be for the week to come but who the heck knows what's next this crazy season! :( How should I prepare for the return trip in order to reduce stress and assure the safety of the baby?

Kimmers

Im not sure if this will be the same for a baby or not but i have heard of people putting them in a shoebox lined with towels. Also, they have a stick pierced into the sides creating a steady perch. The heat in the car should be more than enough to keep him safe. The darkness in the box usually encourages sleep so he will be ok. Maybe for a baby since they come in those little clear dish looking cups. Your could just get a shoe box put a bunch of towels around the sides and place the dish inside the box, that should keep him warm. You will need to ensure that he is getting enough oxygen and not suffocate him with the towels though.

I use a box when traveling to my vet office. I line the bottom with a small towel incase they fall and add lots of branches to grab onto. Close the box so they don't escape, but you do want to have some air to pass through. Also, you want to make sure when you arrive home, get the enclosure ready and when you put them in, let them crawl out on their own into their new home and leave them be to acclimate and relax so you don't stress them. Works for Mojo with no problems.

Pillow cases are used for snakes and other reptiles for the breathability of the fabric and to keep it somewhat dark, but chams are a little more fragile and feel secure holding onto something so they need a hard enclosure.

we just got back from Ky - 700+ miles -to get a cham for my friend ( I really LOVE my friend :p lol ) we planed it so we were traveling at night, so we would not disrupt her sleep pattern - she slept all the way home , she was in a shipping cup, a little vine, and some moist toweling and did just fine :)

I've seen on websites where you can buy them that the usually put the babies in a small container with a damp paper towel and holes poked into the top. FL Chams has a bunch of info on their website. They might have a section on transportation.

Back
Top Bottom