Trying to eat river rocks...? HELP

SnoopyShinego

Hi everyone!
I have a Nosy Be panther chameleon that is 4 months old and just got him a couple of days ago. He has been doing great but has a weird behavior of trying to chew on river rocks that cover the soil of his umbrella tree. The rocks are larger than his head so he definitely can't swallow them but he picks them up and throws them off of the plant. I don't know if I should be concerned or if this is a normal behavior?! I haven't seen anything on this and haven't found any research on it. Just wondering if I should be concerned or what I should do to get him to stop. Thanks!!

Hi everyone!
I have a Nosy Be panther chameleon that is 4 months old and just got him a couple of days ago. He has been doing great but has a weird behavior of trying to chew on river rocks that cover the soil of his umbrella tree. The rocks are larger than his head so he definitely can't swallow them but he picks them up and throws them off of the plant. I don't know if I should be concerned or if this is a normal behavior?! I haven't seen anything on this and haven't found any research on it. Just wondering if I should be concerned or what I should do to get him to stop. Thanks!!

Well, he's in a brand new situation so its hard to tell why he's doing this. You could get larger rocks that are too heavy for him to toss. He'll soon figure out its hopeless to try. What are you gutloading and dusting with and how often? If he's trying to get at the potting soil maybe he is trying to get at minerals.

Well, he's in a brand new situation so its hard to tell why he's doing this. You could get larger rocks that are too heavy for him to toss. He'll soon figure out its hopeless to try. What are you gutloading and dusting with and how often? If he's trying to get at the potting soil maybe he is trying to get at minerals.

I am gut loading with Flukers orange cubes which is a complete cricket diet and their cricket quencher for water and dusting with repticalcium from zoo med. I also have reptivite reptile vitamins for dusting as well. I have also been feeding mealworms. He doesn't seem to be trying to eat the rocks but he mouths them and then throws them off the plant. It is very odd.

Depending on the plant, you can screen over the pot and let it grow threw it. Large river or lava rocks can be bought for cheap at home depot or lowes. Big enough that he can't pick up. Good luck. We they go destroying private property, you have lay down the law. Put his little butt on restriction. Corporal punishment. :eek: Take away phone priveliges for two weeks is what I do.

Back
Top Bottom