Tube Enclosures Advice Needed Please

CrazyChamLady13

Good Evening

All day long I've been looking for outdoor enclosures... the last couple days I've been debating on PVC pipe enclosure size etc etc. Then I canned across the "tube cage" ideal. Ive looked at how others made theirs etc and decided that since I do have limited space that they would work great.

Now like I always do I have my own ideal and want to see if it would work. I really like the ideal of hanging it unfortunately I have no place to hang it. So I'm going to use one of those planter dollies. Going to look for a huge pot and saucer, attach with a PVC pipe in the middle. I have a hibiscus already so going to plant that inthere.

I'm confused on hardware cloth though can anyone help?

Stay away from hardware cloth that is not plastic coated. If uncoated it has lots of sharp edges.

Carl

I can show you how to make a large tube out of the large hardware cloth, and screen:https://www.chameleonforums.com/experimental-enlcosures-pt-1-a-81894/

You could use the smaller stuff without screen. I believe the larger stuff is called Deer Fencing.

I just planted mine in the ground. They were fairly large, and you can make literally anything you want out of it. They worked great, I loved them.

The only "issue" is the door. I contemplated square ones, but with rounds you can make a door that wraps tightly around the opening. I then used 550 cord to secure the doors at the top, middle, and bottom. I merely bent the wires around the body to create a hinge.

No joke though, with all the snips you have to make, the stuff is sharp. Even being careful and experienced around such things I almost severly injured myself, so take care.

Thank you Solid Snake

Unfortunately we're renting and wont be able to plant. But I did find some 18" round pots to plant my hibiscus and possibly another plant in. Great thing about it is they were on clearance at Lowes for $2.27

I was renting also. :eek:

It was a pain to get things squared away when I left, and the landlord wasnt that thrilled. :p

Left everything pretty immaculate though really, even received a letter of recommendation that makes me out to be the best renter in the universe. :rolleyes:

If only he knew the truth! :D I clean my messes though...

Good luck. You might have better luck with something larger, like a plastic chemical barrel cut in half, or something like that.

I keep making a list of everything that I'm going TO MAKE SURE are in order if we buy a house big enough to rent out to someone. Like number 1 Make sure that the apartment is AWAY from my house and fenced off so I don't have to worry about pets that aren't mine getting hurt.

Right now I have a 5'x5' uncovered porch that I get to work with to include 3 outdoor enclosures (beardie include), my chair, and table and pray that the porch doesn't fall though.

The plants or the pots were o n sale at Lowe's? The plants I have gotten from Lowe's all had severe health issues and signs of over fertilization. Their pot is great tho :)

Tubes are difficult, I suggest purchasing one that is commercially made as they only run 20$ more than you would spend building it yourself. The door is the hardest part and I cannot even explain to you how frustrating hardware cloth is to work with. Save yourself the headache and small cuts and get one that is well crafted.

I would be very excited to see a rogue chameleon enclosure thread simmilar to that tank king show where they build fish tanks into random hallow objects. I hope that you do not take my suggestions and find a way to build it anyway. I am very interested to see a detailed build guide for custom of this type

i may have to agree, the door on mine is still something i am not happy about.
i am gonna try to make an oversize door and see if i can live with it.
but in the end i wish i had just bought one from chameleoncans.com:(:eek:

Back
Top Bottom