Turning Brown

Supramatt95

Hello all, I'm new here and I don't have my computer set up and can't get the search feature to work on my phone so I'm stuck asking a question I'm sure is asked a lot. I just purchased a veiled chameleon he/she is about 3-4 months old and I just put him/her in their cage with foliage/water/and limb. I noticed he/she started turning brown and when I take him out of his/her area it turns green again. Any ideas? Again sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

I would probably suggest to fill out the "how to ask for help" sheet and post pictures as this thread doesn't provide enough information for many members to know a specific answer. :)

Based off your limited information, I would guess there may be something wrong with your husbandry if he shows calming colors when outside his cage. Also keep in mind that they will need anywhere from a couple days to a week to get used to their new home.

Anyway, definetly fill out that questionnaire and post some pics to aid the more experienced to help you out. Congrats on the new guy and Gluck! :)

They aren't typically meant to be handled. Let her get used to her enclosure for a few days and please read the date sheet located on this forum. Pretend its an aquarium for a bit.☺ ☺ ☺you don't want to stress her out.

Thank you for the response. Sorry for the lack of information I'm trying to do this from a phone. Hopefully I get my computer up soon haha. I was told the same, to give him/her a few days and I'm going to get more foliage today.

When you get your pc back up, try to post a pic of your new cham and your
cage.
You want to have lots of vines, branches, etc. for your cham to move about
and feel secure. Otherwise, they feel exposed and volnerable to preditors.

You also want to elevate the cage so he/she can get higher then your eye level. It makes them feel more secure to know they have the advantage
of being up higher.

Your cham is changing brown color because of mood/stress.
But they will also turn a dark color when basking.
But if content and peaceful, should be green/lighter colors.

I switched his cage out to a repti-breeze cage and filled it with all kinds of plants/branches. I noticed he started turning greener but still not at the green he was when I bought him.

Back
Top Bottom