Update: blind crippled panther

Here is an update on this thread from August of last year.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/sad-tale-2-chameleons-14453/

Pippin and Chidiebere are still with us and doing well. (Chidiebere is an Igbo (Nigerian) name meaning "God is Merciful". If you read the original thread you'll see why we named her that.) We purchased her from a local couple off craigslist. The 2 chams were housed together, with the female forced to live at the bottom of the plant, getting little food, and very little light and heat. As a result she became blind and crippled due to MBD and hypovitaminosis.

BEFORE

newgirlstance.jpg

AFTER

chidiereceptive.jpg

Chidie became very eggy and receptive in November and so we mated her with Pippin, in a modified cage. The mating went well. Eggs were laid. A few still look viable, most do not. When it came time to lay the eggs she became restless. So I dug a tunnel for her in a birthing bin and placed her in it. She scraped at the bottom of the tunnel for a few minutes, then turned around and laid her eggs. She then began covering them. I stopped her after a while because with her handicap it was taking very long and was exhausting her. Sixty days later she laid a secondary clutch.

chidiebreeding.jpg

chidielaying.jpg

chidiecovering.jpg

chidieggs.jpg

Below is Chidie relaxing in her hammock. Yes, sometimes she rolls onto her back and sleeps during the day. It's a Chidie thing. I know chams don't sleep during the day, but with her handicaps, she does take a few naps during the day. The first time I saw her in this position I was heartbroken, thinking she was dead. At the time of this photo she had just had a nice big meal and I think she was warming her belly under the basking lamp.

chidierelaxing.jpg

Feeding time can still be a challenge, as she will still sometimes get so excited she'll flip onto her back. CUp feeding didn't go over too well, so we abandoned that project. Superworms are her favorite.

chidiefeedingtime.jpg

chidiecupfeedg.jpg

Chidie swinging her head for some food.
chidiefeeding.jpg

Last edited:
That's good to know you took on such a challenge. The one of her on her back made my day! I'm so glad she is alive. :) Is she fully blind?

She looks so much healthier.

She can definitely see movement. That's how I am able to feed her. And she can see well enough to lay her eggs, and meander about her cage. Her pupils and irises are still halfway below her lower lids, limiting her sight (likely due to poor nutrition). She is unable to obtain prey on her own, and does most of her climbing about by reaching wildly until she grabs hold of something.

I'm surprised she'd lived this long. Wow. That's sad. She can see movement? Sounds like a T-Rex to me (dumb movies hehe). I'm glad it's enough to keep her alive.

I'm still laughing about that nap picture! Ah!

Yeah... that napping photo... without reading the captions I thought you were showing us her...... not so alive. Pretty funny when ya know what the real story is. I wonder why she rolls on her back like that. There must be something more going on with her that can't be determined easily I am sure.

I think what you have done for this little girl is amazing,and its great to see that there are still poeple willing to take care of the chams who needs it the most..:):):)

Big respect to you for taking her on and all the care and attention you have given her to ensure she has a better quality of life - It's nice to hear how she is gettng on :)

You are past a excellent keeper, you show both great knowlwdge and love for the chameleons in your care. Not only is she as cute as can be but the laying on the back is just a great picture. How about that in the photo contest? I am working to be more like you, thanks for the role model.

Sandy is the first forum member that I purchased a Cham from. Chameleons Northwest is a sterile, first class breeding operation, where the focus is on the Chams (This is not the only rescue Cham they are working with). You won't find kinder folk around!:D

Sandy is the first forum member that I purchased a Cham from. Chameleons Northwest is a sterile, first class breeding operation, where the focus is on the Chams (This is not the only rescue Cham they are working with). You won't find kinder folk around!:D

never thought i'd see "sterile" and "breeding" in the same sentence;)

way to go with the chameleon! your story made my day...ever since i was young, i've always enjoyed stories with pictures.

Yeah... that napping photo... without reading the captions I thought you were showing us her...... not so alive. Pretty funny when ya know what the real story is. I wonder why she rolls on her back like that. There must be something more going on with her that can't be determined easily I am sure.

She had a head injury when we got her. One side of her casque is crushed in a bit, and there was a black, open sore. We assume she took a crushing head bite from the male. So, she may have some brain injury and balance problems, as well.

Aww that's a lovely story! That picture in her hammock I thought she passed until a saw what you wrote then started laughing.

She had a head injury when we got her. One side of her casque is crushed in a bit, and there was a black, open sore. We assume she took a crushing head bite from the male. So, she may have some brain injury and balance problems, as well.

Oh wow. Nothing you can do for that, eh? :(

While I think you've done a great job with her and I'm glad to see you making such an effort, I'm a little disappointed that you decided to breed her given her handicaps and obvious nutrition related issues. While obviously she will produce eggs on her own, encouraging egg production should be avoided as there is no way that this is very safe for her. Further, I would be very concerned about the maternal effects on the neonates as well. Nutritional issues can be very easily passed on to offspring lowering their own fitness. Even though her nutrition may be fine now, the lasting effects of the problem are obvious and this can endanger not only her during breeding, egg production and oviposition but also the potential neonates.

Chris

Thank you for your input, Chris. With that information, we won't be breeding her again. My thoughts were that if she's producing eggs anyway, it doesn't take any more from her if they are fertile. But, if breeding her encourages continued egg production, that would not happen otherwise, then it was definitely a mistake. Should we dispose of the eggs?

Aw, I feel so fuzzy and warm inside after reading this!. that is awesome Gesang!! Bless you!!! I love the napping photo.. Never once did it cross my mind she wasnt alive.. she looks so full of personality and Life!! Glad that she found you guys.
AnimationsSayingsYouRock.gif

Back
Top Bottom