URGENT PLEASE HELP! POSSIBLE MOUTH ROT?

808jax

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - JACKSON'S CHAMELEON, MALE, ABOUT 10 MONTHS, HAD HIM FOR ABOUT THE SAME TIME (FOUND HIM IN MY FRONT YARD)
  • Handling - DONT HANDLE HIM VERY OFTEN MAYBE A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK
  • Feeding - BREED MY OWN CRICKETS, TWICE A DAY (ABOUT 4-5 CRICKETS EACH FEEDING, HE EATS UNTIL SATISFIED)
  • Supplements - I USE CALCIUM POWDER EVERY FEEDING (NOT SURE ON BRAND)
  • Watering - I HAVE MISTERS BUILT IN HIS CAGE, I WATER HIM TWICE A DAY FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES EACH TIME
  • Fecal Description - FECAL USUALLY IS DARK AND OVAL SHAPED, FOLLOWED BY A SMALLER, SOFTER WHITE OVAL
  • History - HE HAS HAD A SMALL SWOLLEN MOUTH EPISODE BEFORE, AND HE GOT OVER IT WITHIN A COUPLE WEEKS ON HIS OWN

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - MESH CAGE APPROX 18 INCH WIDTH, 18 INCH LENGTH, 36 INCH HEIGHT
  • Lighting - NOT SURE ON BRAND, ONE HEAT AND ONE UV
  • Temperature - TEMP AT THE TOP OF CAGE (CLOSE TO LIGHT), APPROX 85F, BELOW CANOPY MAYBE 80F
  • Humidity - HUMIDITY IS CONSISTANT WITH OUTSIDE HUMIDITY (HAWAII)
  • Plants - NON LIVE
  • Placement - ON A TABLE (24 INCHES OFF FLOOR), NEAR ALWAYS OPEN WINDOW, THE ROOM HE IS IN HAS WINDOWS OPEN AND CIRCULATING AIR (NO A/C, CEILING FAN ON)
  • Location - HAWAII

IVE NOTICED THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS MOUTH WAS A LITTLE SWOLLEN ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, DID NOT THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT AS HE HAD THE SAME THING BEFORE AND IT HEALED ON ITS OWN. YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS FEEDING HIM I NOTICED IT HAD BECOME LARGER AND STARTED TO BLEED. IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS REDUCED WATER INTAKE AS WELL AS FOOD. I GOT HIM SMALLER CRICKETS AND SMALL LIVE MEALWORMS TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO EAT. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP ON DIAGNOSIS AS WELL AS TREATEMENT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

Attachments

• IMAGE 1.jpg
    IMAGE 1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAGE 2.jpg
    IMAGE 2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAGE 3 .jpg
    IMAGE 3 .jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
You need to see a good chameleon vet…don’t know if that’s possible in Hawaii.
We do have exotic vets here, but extremely expensive. I would have to pay around $200 just to get the vet to look at him. Is there anything that I can give him at home or do? I've been calling vets all day yesterday and this morning. They all said they would need to see him. I even asked if they could provide the names of possible antibiotics they would prescribe but I guess due to legal issues they can't even provide the name of the meds. I can't afford to take him to the vet.

See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - JACKSON'S CHAMELEON, MALE, ABOUT 10 MONTHS, HAD HIM FOR ABOUT THE SAME TIME (FOUND HIM IN MY FRONT YARD)
  • Feeding - BREED MY OWN CRICKETS, TWICE A DAY (ABOUT 4-5 CRICKETS EACH FEEDING, HE EATS UNTIL SATISFIED) try to get a variety of feeders, I’m not sure what insects you can get in Hawaii, but I will add a list of staple feeders at the bottom. Are you gut loading? I added a list for that as well.
  • Supplements - I USE CALCIUM POWDER EVERY FEEDING (NOT SURE ON BRAND) you will need a multivitamin to use once a month. Depending on the calcium you are using you might need to change it. Here are the supplements and multivitamins I use.
  • Supplement- https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Multivitamin-https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-8-Ounce/dp/B002GC4B6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1PWJBCH6PF7O7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.IDLDr2Y6hcE_YfEvTbzi_gLK_pIGle5FbYSjLLkMrOwwaROFEp9mTqpyi48ySdkPMTzYpNI0vWOGaBgDbxEUz8_eKUkqZMheoE_fNg60yt086lOf6rkVn-gtXoDGyDSQx1FCkOrRZU2TluRbDcu1rw9fA56kCN656jlf7Xtk-Q0ezeNpqn-xY-bWoaY1WIGePrdo6e4HtTwZ64uzduUH8w.CjaXGsuD4nVn8pwp76WPU2n8UEkXKM3T9uQ1iGcbZEA&dib_tag=se&keywords=reptile+multivitamin+with+d3&qid=1727726388&sprefix=reptile+multivitamin%2Caps%2C331&sr=8-2
  • Watering - I HAVE MISTERS BUILT IN HIS CAGE, I WATER HIM TWICE A DAY FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES EACH TIME Do you have way for him to get water constantly? They like moving water, so providing a way for him to get water all day is ideal. You can poke a small hole in the bottom of a water bottle or jug, and place it on the top of the enclosure, the water will drip onto his plants providing a place to drink and clean his eyes.
  • Fecal Description - FECAL USUALLY IS DARK AND OVAL SHAPED, FOLLOWED BY A SMALLER, SOFTER WHITE OVAL this is good. The darker part is the poo part and the white part is the irate. If the irate is mostly white with a little yellow at the end, it means he is hydrated.
  • History - HE HAS HAD A SMALL SWOLLEN MOUTH EPISODE BEFORE, AND HE GOT OVER IT WITHIN A COUPLE WEEKS ON HIS OWN I’m wondering if he got a cricket bite before, causing his mouth to swell. If crickets are free in the enclosure, they can start to bite the chameleon.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - MESH CAGE APPROX 18 INCH WIDTH, 18 INCH LENGTH, 36 INCH HEIGHT this is a common mistake most new keepers go through. The enclosure is much too small, you need a 4’x2’x2’ at least. Try to get a bigger one soon.
  • Lighting - NOT SURE ON BRAND, ONE HEAT AND ONE UV I’m assuming these are the coil bulbs. The coil UVB light does not give off enough UV to your chameleon. You will need a liner bulb. Reptisun 5.0 T5HO or Arcadia 6% T5HO are the best to use.
  • Temperature - TEMP AT THE TOP OF CAGE (CLOSE TO LIGHT), APPROX 85F, BELOW CANOPY MAYBE 80F try to get your temperature around 70F, 80F is too high for the entire enclosure, this is a ideal basking temperature.
  • Humidity - HUMIDITY IS CONSISTANT WITH OUTSIDE HUMIDITY (HAWAII) high humidity during the day and hot temperatures during the day can cause respiratory infections. Try to get the humidity around 40% during the day and 90-100% during the night.
  • Plants - NON LIVE if your Cham eats these plants, it can cause stomach issues. Using real plants is a better option. I added a chart for this also.
  • Placement - ON A TABLE (24 INCHES OFF FLOOR), NEAR ALWAYS OPEN WINDOW, THE ROOM HE IS IN HAS WINDOWS OPEN AND CIRCULATING AIR (NO A/C, CEILING FAN ON) Jackson’s need colder temperatures during the night, (around 50-60F) if you have The A/C on during the night it could be helpful.
  • Location - HAWAII

IVE NOTICED THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS MOUTH WAS A LITTLE SWOLLEN ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, DID NOT THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT AS HE HAD THE SAME THING BEFORE AND IT HEALED ON ITS OWN. YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS FEEDING HIM I NOTICED IT HAD BECOME LARGER AND STARTED TO BLEED. IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS REDUCED WATER INTAKE AS WELL AS FOOD. I GOT HIM SMALLER CRICKETS AND SMALL LIVE MEALWORMS TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO EAT. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP ON DIAGNOSIS AS WELL AS TREATEMENT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. If you have an exotic vet in the area, you should take him in to get proper treatment as soon as possible.

Sheet for feeding chameleons | Chameleon Forums

1727728108518.jpeg

See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - BREED MY OWN CRICKETS, TWICE A DAY (ABOUT 4-5 CRICKETS EACH FEEDING, HE EATS UNTIL SATISFIED) try to get a variety of feeders, I’m not sure what insects you can get in Hawaii, but I will add a list of staple feeders at the bottom. Are you gut loading? I added a list for that as well.
  • Supplements - I USE CALCIUM POWDER EVERY FEEDING (NOT SURE ON BRAND) you will need a multivitamin to use once a month. Depending on the calcium you are using you might need to change it. Here are the supplements and multivitamins I use.
  • Supplement- https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER Multivitamin-https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-8-Ounce/dp/B002GC4B6O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1PWJBCH6PF7O7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.IDLDr2Y6hcE_YfEvTbzi_gLK_pIGle5FbYSjLLkMrOwwaROFEp9mTqpyi48ySdkPMTzYpNI0vWOGaBgDbxEUz8_eKUkqZMheoE_fNg60yt086lOf6rkVn-gtXoDGyDSQx1FCkOrRZU2TluRbDcu1rw9fA56kCN656jlf7Xtk-Q0ezeNpqn-xY-bWoaY1WIGePrdo6e4HtTwZ64uzduUH8w.CjaXGsuD4nVn8pwp76WPU2n8UEkXKM3T9uQ1iGcbZEA&dib_tag=se&keywords=reptile+multivitamin+with+d3&qid=1727726388&sprefix=reptile+multivitamin%2Caps%2C331&sr=8-2
  • Watering - I HAVE MISTERS BUILT IN HIS CAGE, I WATER HIM TWICE A DAY FOR ABOUT TWO MINUTES EACH TIME Do you have way for him to get water constantly? They like moving water, so providing a way for him to get water all day is ideal. You can poke a small hole in the bottom of a water bottle or jug, and place it on the top of the enclosure, the water will drip onto his plants providing a place to drink and clean his eyes.
  • Fecal Description - FECAL USUALLY IS DARK AND OVAL SHAPED, FOLLOWED BY A SMALLER, SOFTER WHITE OVAL this is good. The darker part is the poo part and the white part is the irate. If the irate is mostly white with a little yellow at the end, it means he is hydrated.
  • History - HE HAS HAD A SMALL SWOLLEN MOUTH EPISODE BEFORE, AND HE GOT OVER IT WITHIN A COUPLE WEEKS ON HIS OWN I’m wondering if he got a cricket bite before, causing his mouth to swell. If crickets are free in the enclosure, they can start to bite the chameleon.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - MESH CAGE APPROX 18 INCH WIDTH, 18 INCH LENGTH, 36 INCH HEIGHT this is a common mistake most new keepers go through. The enclosure is much too small, you need a 4’x2’x2’ at least. Try to get a bigger one soon.
  • Lighting - NOT SURE ON BRAND, ONE HEAT AND ONE UV I’m assuming these are the coil bulbs. The coil UVB light does not give off enough UV to your chameleon. You will need a liner bulb. Reptisun 5.0 T5HO or Arcadia 6% T5HO are the best to use.
  • Temperature - TEMP AT THE TOP OF CAGE (CLOSE TO LIGHT), APPROX 85F, BELOW CANOPY MAYBE 80F try to get your temperature around 70F, 80F is too high for the entire enclosure, this is a ideal basking temperature.
  • Humidity - HUMIDITY IS CONSISTANT WITH OUTSIDE HUMIDITY (HAWAII) high humidity during the day and hot temperatures during the day can cause respiratory infections. Try to get the humidity around 40% during the day and 90-100% during the night.
  • Plants - NON LIVE if your Cham eats these plants, it can cause stomach issues. Using real plants is a better option. I added a chart for this also.
  • Placement - ON A TABLE (24 INCHES OFF FLOOR), NEAR ALWAYS OPEN WINDOW, THE ROOM HE IS IN HAS WINDOWS OPEN AND CIRCULATING AIR (NO A/C, CEILING FAN ON) Jackson’s need colder temperatures during the night, (around 50-60F) if you have The A/C on during the night it could be helpful.
  • Location - HAWAII

IVE NOTICED THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS MOUTH WAS A LITTLE SWOLLEN ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, DID NOT THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT AS HE HAD THE SAME THING BEFORE AND IT HEALED ON ITS OWN. YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS FEEDING HIM I NOTICED IT HAD BECOME LARGER AND STARTED TO BLEED. IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS REDUCED WATER INTAKE AS WELL AS FOOD. I GOT HIM SMALLER CRICKETS AND SMALL LIVE MEALWORMS TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR HIM TO EAT. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP ON DIAGNOSIS AS WELL AS TREATEMENT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. If you have an exotic vet in the area, you should take him in to get proper treatment as soon as possible.

View attachment 359245
would you recommend any type of ointment or treatment for the time being until I can adjust his living conditions to be optimal?

If there is pus involved, the area will need to be cleaned out and flushed with the chameleon under anesthetic. A culture and sensitivity test will be needed to determine the bacteria involved so it can be put on the appropriate antibiotics.
So just to clarify, this is not a case of mouth rot? And more like a wound or cut on the inside of his mouth?

Poor guy. :( While I don’t keep Jackson’s, nor know much about their particulars, I do know they have deep pockets in the corners of their jaws that can get infected. The problem is that chameleon pus is very thick and doesn’t just go away, like with us and mammals. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned out by a vet and then he’ll need antibiotics, either oral or injected. This is not something anyone other than a vet can do or treat. It may be expensive, but he needs to be taken to a vet asap. It is only going to get worse.

Poor guy. :( While I don’t keep Jackson’s, nor know much about their particulars, I do know they have deep pockets in the corners of their jaws that can get infected. The problem is that chameleon pus is very thick and doesn’t just go away, like with us and mammals. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned out by a vet and then he’ll need antibiotics, either oral or injected. This is not something anyone other than a vet can do or treat. It may be expensive, but he needs to be taken to a vet asap. It is only going to get worse.
I know I feel terrible... I just really can't afford the treatment from the vets. I have no idea how much it would cost if he needs to be put under anesthesia, they only told me how much it would cost to look at him which was around $200. He is a rescue, I found him in my front yard. I am just trying to do everything in my power to make sure he's ok. He is drinking a lot more today and the inflammation has reduced.

I know I feel terrible... I just really can't afford the treatment from the vets. I have no idea how much it would cost if he needs to be put under anesthesia, they only told me how much it would cost to look at him which was around $200. He is a rescue, I found him in my front yard. I am just trying to do everything in my power to make sure he's ok. He is drinking a lot more today and the inflammation has reduced.
What vet is in your area? You can call and ask how much it is to put them Under anesthesia and treatment, so you know a little more on how much treatment is.

What vet is in your area? You can call and ask how much it is to put them Under anesthesia and treatment, so you know a little more on how much treatment is.
There are two that can take him. They said they can't give any quotes until he comes into the vet. Very frustrating and that's why I am so frantic on finding answers on my own because the vet can't give a semi-specific answer on cost, totally ridiculous.

I tagged @JacksJill for you. She knows Jackson's extremely well. They can get something called a temporal gland infection. I am not sure if that is what this is but she would know and be able to give feedback for normal vet treatment.

Is there anyway you can get some pics of the inside of his mouth? That way we can see if its in the mouth or an outside wound. In the meantime, I would flush the area by squirting saline solution on it and try to remove any debris with a q-tip. After cleaning it you can dab a bit of Neosporin or Vaseline on it to keep it clean. Also, plastic plants can have a lot of sharp edges. They need to go and replace with live plants that are chameleon safe. You really need to get a look inside the mouth. I feel for you and completely understand not being able to afford a vet. Since you are in Hawaii and they do have wild exotics there, try calling a local shelter to see if there is a reptile sanctuary that could help. Best of luck to you and sorry I can't be of more help.

Is there anyway you can get some pics of the inside of his mouth? That way we can see if its in the mouth or an outside wound. In the meantime, I would flush the area by squirting saline solution on it and try to remove any debris with a q-tip. After cleaning it you can dab a bit of Neosporin or Vaseline on it to keep it clean. Also, plastic plants can have a lot of sharp edges. They need to go and replace with live plants that are chameleon safe. You really need to get a look inside the mouth. I feel for you and completely understand not being able to afford a vet. Since you are in Hawaii and they do have wild exotics there, try calling a local shelter to see if there is a reptile sanctuary that could help. Best of luck to you and sorry I can't be of more help.
Thank you. Yes when I get off work I will try and get some pictures of the inside of his mouth. Planning on going to nurseries to get cham friendly plants after work as well. If there is a cut on the inside of his mouth, is it ok to gently flush it with saline? Couldn't it dehydrate him? And I am assuming Neosporin and Vaseline are only meant for external wounds.

Here is a picture of his upper jaw area. I will try and get a picture of his lower jaw area when I get home. Thank you for helping me.

Attachments

• IMG_6727.png
    IMG_6727.png
    623.1 KB · Views: 1
That's A better view. Unfortunately he is going to need internal antibiotics from a vet. I think anesthesia is extreme at this point but miss Skittles was thinking it may be a abcess. I don't think its that type of infection but whatever it is its spreading. I personally have not had a Cham with mouth rot so I have no experience with it. Its not just on his lip, its on his chin as well. I am not sure what the yellowish bump is at the rear of his lips either. Btw he is stunning! Look up mouth rot on this site and see what other Cham owners have dealt with. where exactly in Hawaii are you? Which island and town? Also I use Bauch and Lomb saline solution for sensitive eyes when I flush anything. Even the eyes. Then use a qtip and gently try to get the dried blood off then use a dry stop to dry it off before putting the topical ointment on. The Neosporin without pain relief additive is a light weight topical use small amount incase he digests some. The bigger issue is to seal it so you stop the spread and keep bacteria out. I do not think this is an infection from an injury. Am thinking fungus, virus, bacteria infection. did you try to find a reptile rescue or try bird rescues too. Keep calling someone may point you in the right direction to get help you can afford. The universe brought that sweet boy to you so tell the universe to help you find help.

Back
Top Bottom