Veiled Chameleon, Sick??

Corallee

So! I've noticed that my female veiled had a crust on her nose. at first i thought it was just shed. i wiped it off... and then she never shed, and now both of her nose wholes have crust on them. Shes still drinking and eating the same, and doesn't seem sick. Do chameleons get colds? Or is the beginning of a Upper Respiratory? If so.. what should i do about it? How do i treat an Upper Respiratory... or a cold?

Info:
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, Female 8 months.
Handling - Infrequent. once/twice per week
Feeding - Mostly crickets, some wax worms, silks
Supplements - Plain calcium 3-4 feedings a week
Watering - Misting system runs 2 times per day for 30 seconds , dripper runs throughout the day.
Lighting -10.0 uvb, 11am-11pm
Temperature - Basking temp 90-95 during the day low 70 at night.
Humidity - Humidity between 40-50 %. Measured with hygrometer
Plants - 1 live ficus, various fake plants.:)
Placement - In bed room, have a towel covering the top half of the back and top half of two sides front is wide open.
Location - Wisconsin

well idk why she is having the crust on her nose but if i were you i would reduce the basking temps to about 85. 90-95 is wayy too hot

well idk why she is having the crust on her nose but if i were you i would reduce the basking temps to about 85. 90-95 is wayy too hot

Thanks, But actually Jacksons should be kept at about 80-85, where Veiled come from a hotter climate and 90-100f is perfect for them.:)

Perhaps you may want to search the average temps for Yemen, where they are from. The average low is about 68-72f and the highs can reach up to 128f in the summer times. There general avenger there is around 85-95f. I'm not one for fighting or trolling, but I have to strongly disagree with you, and the care sheet written on this blog. I understand that people will have different opinions, and i can accept that, but the facts are, Veiled chameleons are from Yemen, and Yemen is hot.

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/yemen/weather-climate-geography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Yemen#Climate

Chameleons really dont get colds but they do get respiratory infections. What you are describing sounds like excess salts or minerals around your chameleons nostrils. This is normal and nothing to worry about. If she were to have an RI she would have symptoms like holding her nose straight up in the air, keeping her mouth open for long periods of time, excessive mucous in the mouth, and you might hear wheezing or popping noise. You cannot treat an RI. you would need to see a vet and get an antibiotic.

Chameleons really dont get colds but they do get respiratory infections. What you are describing sounds like excess salts or minerals around your chameleons nostrils. This is normal and nothing to worry about. If she were to have an RI she would have symptoms like holding her nose straight up in the air, keeping her mouth open for long periods of time, excessive mucous in the mouth, and you might hear wheezing or popping noise. You cannot treat an RI. you would need to see a vet and get an antibiotic.

So how doesn't the excess salt/mineral develop? Is there something i can do to make it go away, or stop it in the future? I have well water could this be why? Would adding a water conditioner fix this?
Thanks

It develops sometimes by over supplementing, or from sodium that is in your water.

As for temps... you NEED to Lower them.

Just because Yemen gets to 100+ sometmes, doesnt mean your cham can handle those temps.

Besides, by keeping females at lower temps, you can reduce her egg production. You do not want to over feed or over heat the females, because this can lead to the laying more eggs, which will shorten their life span.
Lower temps, around 80-84 for females, keep the egg production lower.

You are new to this forum, but most of the people here have been keeping chameloens for 20+ years, sometimes even longer.

Also, the captive bred chameleons are not like the wild ones, genetics are different, chams are different.

So, I suggest you pay attention to the people posting on this forums, as most of us know what we are talking about.

It develops sometimes by over supplementing, or from sodium that is in your water.

As for temps... you NEED to Lower them.

Just because Yemen gets to 100+ sometmes, doesnt mean your cham can handle those temps.

Besides, by keeping females at lower temps, you can reduce her egg production. You do not want to over feed or over heat the females, because this can lead to the laying more eggs, which will shorten their life span.
Lower temps, around 80-84 for females, keep the egg production lower.

You are new to this forum, but most of the people here have been keeping chameloens for 20+ years, sometimes even longer.

Also, the captive bred chameleons are not like the wild ones, genetics are different, chams are different.

So, I suggest you pay attention to the people posting on this forums, as most of us know what we are talking about.

thank you. that is much appriciated

Back
Top Bottom