Veiled chameleon with crusty eye? please help

Hi, my veiled chameleon has had some eye problems before I gave him saline eye drops and his eyes became a little better but now they are barely open, any help? sorry the crust thing on his eye is Gone now. I gave him some of the eye drops on both sides and the crust thing is now gone.

Your Chameleon - It is a Veiled chameleon 6-12 months I am pretty sure its a male I have had him since march
Handling - I use to do it daily for a few minutes. I do it every feeding because he has to be force fed
Feeding - I am feeding him meal worms soon to be crickets. I dust them every feeding and gut load them with carrots and lettuce
Supplements - I use exo terra calcium and calcium d3 and multivitamin supplement. Watering - I use a zoo med little dripper and I mist whenever his cage is dry. I used to see him drink but now I hold him up to the dripper and open his mouth for him to drink.
Fecal Description - Plain but he only poops every now and then is it normal?
History - I would dust the meal worms with calcium every feeding and calcium d3 twice a month but for about 2 months awhile ago I slacked on dusting the meal worms. He also has had crickets sometimes those will be his stable feeder soon.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - It is a Reptibreeze 18x18x36 screen cage
Lighting - http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/heat...pfm=category that is his lighting I also added a 5.0 reptisun instead of the 10.0 in the kit Temperature -Up top is 80-95 degrees below is 65-75 degrees
Humidity - I am misting daily and have a zoomed little dripper running His humidity is 60-80
Plants - No live plants plan to get a ficus if he gets well
Placement - On a small table about 2.5 feet above my floor 5.5 feet exact including cage
Location - Northern U.S 75-80 degrees in summer 10 to 40 degrees in winter

Attachments

• 1229141355.jpg
    1229141355.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 921
Hello i also have a veiled chameleon, and your specimen looks like a female (because of the smaller casque size). Do u have any bedding at the bottom
And if u do what kind is it? Are u using a mercury vapor bulb because I've heard they have damaging effects on a chameleon's eyes? Last but not least have u taken it to the vet yet, and if u haven't u should right away.

I strongly suggest you find a good reptile vet and take him in for a visit. He might be beyond home remedies.

Hi, my veiled chameleon has had some eye problems before I gave him saline eye drops and his eyes became a little better but now they are barely open, any help? sorry the crust thing on his eye is Gone now. I gave him some of the eye drops on both sides and the crust thing is now gone.

Your Chameleon - It is a Veiled chameleon 6-12 months I am pretty sure its a male I have had him since march
Handling - I use to do it daily for a few minutes. I do it every feeding because he has to be force fed
Feeding - I am feeding him meal worms soon to be crickets. I dust them every feeding and gut load them with carrots and lettuce
Supplements - I use exo terra calcium and calcium d3 and multivitamin supplement. Watering - I use a zoo med little dripper and I mist whenever his cage is dry. I used to see him drink but now I hold him up to the dripper and open his mouth for him to drink.
Fecal Description - Plain but he only poops every now and then is it normal?
History - I would dust the meal worms with calcium every feeding and calcium d3 twice a month but for about 2 months awhile ago I slacked on dusting the meal worms. He also has had crickets sometimes those will be his stable feeder soon.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - It is a Reptibreeze 18x18x36 screen cage
Lighting - http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/heat...pfm=category that is his lighting I also added a 5.0 reptisun instead of the 10.0 in the kit Temperature -Up top is 80-95 degrees below is 65-75 degrees
Humidity - I am misting daily and have a zoomed little dripper running His humidity is 60-80
Plants - No live plants plan to get a ficus if he gets well
Placement - On a small table about 2.5 feet above my floor 5.5 feet exact including cage
Location - Northern U.S 75-80 degrees in summer 10 to 40 degrees in winter

There may be nutritional problems going on as well as an ongoing infection of the eye. Saline drops won't treat it, so you'll need an antibiotic eye treatment for the specific bacteria causing the problem. His diet is pretty poor...mealworms are not great for a staple feeder. And, your feeder gutload also needs to be improved. Check the forum sponsors for some much better choices.

Hello i also have a veiled chameleon, and your specimen looks like a female (because of the smaller casque size). Do u have any bedding at the bottom
And if u do what kind is it? Are u using a mercury vapor bulb because I've heard they have damaging effects on a chameleon's eyes? Last but not least have u taken it to the vet yet, and if u haven't u should right away.

Where did you hear this about the mercury vapor bulbs? I don't think this is true.

I will probably be taking him to the vet soon but it will be pretty expensive so I didn't know if there was any other at home solutions, and as for bedding I am using just paper towels so the water wont fall off the edge of the cage, and last of all I am not using mercury vapor bulbs, I am using a 75 watt zoomed heat bulb and a reptisun 5.0 compact I will be chaning to a fluorescent tube instead of a compact reptisun to.

There may be nutritional problems going on as well as an ongoing infection of the eye. Saline drops won't treat it, so you'll need an antibiotic eye treatment for the specific bacteria causing the problem. His diet is pretty poor...mealworms are not great for a staple feeder. And, your feeder gutload also needs to be improved. Check the forum sponsors for some much better choices.

The meal worms are for now because I have to hand feed him and crickets are way to hard I might return to crickets soon, and I will start gutloading the meal worms to make them a little bit healthier. I might return to crickets even the they are a pain to feed him.

Back
Top Bottom