Vermiculite vs perlite ??

Jan

I have to get it from a garden shop, as the box stores don't carry it. If you want, send me $10 via PayPal, and I'll send you a cube foot of it via UPS Ground. Should last you long time :D

Thats the beauty of Sm Jan, you moisten it once (SM) and thats it.

Actually, course vermiculite performs the same way. So long as the correct grade is chosen, the moisture content correct, and the ventilation the same, it will not differ from SM. Too much moisture is just as much a problem with SM as with any other medium. Vermiculite spreads out moisture very uniformly, better than perlite, and equal to, or better then, SM. The drip problem is only when eggs are on top, another reason to bury them. With our vermiculite, we have no drip to begin with. So that you know, once we set our eggs, we need not adjust moisture until they hatch. We have a good system, but that is where it is at with any medium.

Done correctly, SM offers no advantage to a proper grade of vermiculite. Mold does not attack a properly set-up system with good eggs. Mold attacks bad eggs, or a system with moisture too high with organic decay present. In fact, SM introduces some organic decay, while vermiculite does not. I'm not putting down SM, but vermiculite brings no added risk to the table. Both are good it done properly.

Just a question, while on the topic of mold. Anyone tried adding mold inhibitors to incubation media? Probably not worth it for the reasons stated above. Just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom