Wanting to Breed a female panther.

Hey, I am going to try something. I inherited a female, RbBb panther chameleon. She was originally part of an educational project with the purpose of breeding her. She was held as a breeder, but was to closely related to her breeder's chameleons. So when she was bought, she was going to continue the great line of genetics.

However, where I am located, there are no panther males around to breed with. The only one I knew about died from an unknown disease, was on shots for three months...

This will be my first time breeding chameleons. I learned a lot already with four successful unfertilized lays. She definitely knows what she is doing, as well as I. However, in the business I have no idea what I'm doing, Google only goes so far in finding breeders or places to breed.

Is there anyone willing to help with breeding, whoever I get the male from, I don't plan on keeping him, though, I could if someone is selling. We can go 50/50 on the profit if you want the male returned after the breeding, as well as second dibs on the babies once the colors start to show up. I am open for debating how that is to work.

I just want to fulfill spreading her genetics as she was originally for before she passes. Delilah is going on two years now in September. I have had her for 9 months and been a wonderful time.

Pictures of Delilah as well as her genetic colors.

Miss print on the hatch date. She is a year older...

Thank you Cloud 9 Chameleons 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_20240815_111844314.jpg
    IMG_20240815_111844314.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231231_123644434.jpg
    IMG_20231231_123644434.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240420_185620160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240420_185620160_HDR.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240814_113229026_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240814_113229026_HDR.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240602_132307365.jpg
    IMG_20240602_132307365.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231210_122150625.jpg
    IMG_20231210_122150625.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240818_220555.jpg
    IMG_20240818_220555.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 6
So I urge you to think twice about this... You could end up with far more babies than you can find homes for. Additionally you have to be able to afford individual set ups for every single baby. This includes correct lighting and live plants for every single cage. Additionally are you going to get fecal tests done on all the babies before you find them homes to ensure they are not carrying a parasite load. The amount of insects required to bring up babies is costly as well.

What is often not talked about is the injuries that can happen when you try to breed. I know someone who ended up dealing with severe injuries to both their female and male that required quite a bit of medical attention and fees. Very bad things can happen. And your talking about wanting to borrow another person's male. So if your female injures their male you are now liable or if their male injures your female you have another issue.

I just think people do not think of what can go wrong or what they will do if they get stuck with a dozen babies that no one wants.

So I urge you to think twice about this... You could end up with far more babies than you can find homes for. Additionally you have to be able to afford individual set ups for every single baby. This includes correct lighting and live plants for every single cage. Additionally are you going to get fecal tests done on all the babies before you find them homes to ensure they are not carrying a parasite load. The amount of insects required to bring up babies is costly as well.

What is often not talked about is the injuries that can happen when you try to breed. I know someone who ended up dealing with severe injuries to both their female and male that required quite a bit of medical attention and fees. Very bad things can happen. And your talking about wanting to borrow another person's male. So if your female injures their male you are now liable or if their male injures your female you have another issue.

I just think people do not think of what can go wrong or what they will do if they get stuck with a dozen babies that no one wants.
Yes, I have seen this go wrong, and right. I have done research.

What you said is another reason why I did this too. Other information about it that I didn't see, or like you said, talked about. I was part of that educational breeding program and have the supplies to handle the baby side of things. Just not forever, which is a thought that crossed my mind. Before I fully commit, I will go through and set everything up before even the eggs arrive, or at least have everything lined up to be.

Again, new to this kind of thing, want to do it right before I hurt any animal, mine, the borrowed one, and definitely want to make sure the babies are in the right kind of care, if I can even do it when the time were to come.

Thank you, any more information about this is greatly accepted. Thank you for your concerns about the animals too in this situation :)

My cham is gentle during breeding. She was introduced to a male before the project was no longer. They got along good and no problems. Just not successful.

Yes, I have seen this go wrong, and right. I have done research.

What you said is another reason why I did this too. Other information about it that I didn't see, or like you said, talked about. I was part of that educational breeding program and have the supplies to handle the baby side of things. Just not forever, which is a thought that crossed my mind. Before I fully commit, I will go through and set everything up before even the eggs arrive, or at least have everything lined up to be.

Again, new to this kind of thing, want to do it right before I hurt any animal, mine, the borrowed one, and definitely want to make sure the babies are in the right kind of care, if I can even do it when the time were to come.

Thank you, any more information about this is greatly accepted. Thank you for your concerns about the animals too in this situation :)

My cham is gentle during breeding. She was introduced to a male before the project was no longer. They got along good and no problems. Just not successful.
Yeah my understanding is each animals response can be different. If you have a very aggressive male you could have a bad situation. Females too can respond in an aggressive manor.

I have just seen where people get "stuck" with babies as well. I would look at what her current egg production is. If she is laying very small clutches then you will be in a better position to find homes. If she is laying large clutches then you may end up with far more then you can handle. Also you then end up with follow up clutches being fertile. So it is not a one and done kind of situation you end up with.

Then there are other aspects. if your going to offer shipping of babies and are you comfortable with that process and have you looked into the expense or supplies for it. If you live in a smaller area shipping may be your only option. Then how will you find the homes for them. In our forum you can not sell babies in the classified section unless you are an established member.

Sounds like you are thinking many aspects through which is good to see just hate to see people get in over their head due to not getting real feedback. :)

Yeah my understanding is each animals response can be different. If you have a very aggressive male you could have a bad situation. Females too can respond in an aggressive manor.

I have just seen where people get "stuck" with babies as well. I would look at what her current egg production is. If she is laying very small clutches then you will be in a better position to find homes. If she is laying large clutches then you may end up with far more then you can handle. Also you then end up with follow up clutches being fertile. So it is not a one and done kind of situation you end up with.

Then there are other aspects. if your going to offer shipping of babies and are you comfortable with that process and have you looked into the expense or supplies for it. If you live in a smaller area shipping may be your only option. Then how will you find the homes for them. In our forum you can not sell babies in the classified section unless you are an established member.

Sounds like you are thinking many aspects through which is good to see just hate to see people get in over their head due to not getting real feedback. :)
Yup. Those are kinks in the works I am going to solve FIRST before I breed them. We have a yearly reptile where I'm at. If not more than that, the smaller less talked about ones. So I don't fall into those knee deep holes with a terrible outcome. Chances of following through are less than backing out. I just wanna uphold the original mission of the first keeper.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I wasn't planning on selling here. Finding larger websites, reputable websites. Also in person. I have a few ppl who have explained the curiosity I to it.

Back
Top Bottom