Water chameleon

dig414

Is it normal for a chemeleon to bathe its self or hang out in water. We have a small container that catches excess water drip from his plants. This is the second time I've caught him doing it but I was fast enough to snap a picture this time lol. And yes we do spray his enclosure several times a day. He shouldn't be dehydrated.

Attachments

• 20160311_132401.jpg
    20160311_132401.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 252
As far as I am aware that is not normal and chameleons are not known for going to water sources like that. I will say that just because you spray the cage doesn't mean that he is drinking unless you see him doing it or his poop is not dry and the urate part is white and not yellow or orange.

His basking temp at the top of the cage is usually aroun 81ºf, I wouldn't think he gets hot. We've always used that container and empty it every day. Its odd that hes just now goin around it. Guess he gets bored when he can't free range. (Cause his ass disappears for days)

Mine loves a water dish, the previous owner didn't drip or mist, so I think he just got used to it. Took me quite awhile to ween him back to just droplets on leafs, and I still catch him wandering around the bottom of the cage after it rains..if I had a bowl in there I'm sure he would drink from it again.

Maybe use a sponge to absorb most of the water , that water gets dirty real fast, especially if he poops in it. If he sees water drip into it and splash he might shoot at it or take a swig, nasty pool water... No good. I ended up getting a tray that goes under my cage and I poked holes in the floor so the water is out of his reach.
He may of just wandered into it..

Back
Top Bottom