Weird brown color?

Something Cold

Whenever my veiled is in his basking spot he turns this weird brown and dark green color but when he goes on a stroll he turns to his normal light green self. From what I've read, this isn't good and a healthy cham should be green all the time but the temps are all correct, its 83 degrees, so I am not really sure why he is doing this. Anyone have any ideas?

PS: I've been posting a lot lately and I really appreciate all of the help from you guys.

where did you read that a "healthy" veild chameleon should always be green? If they are brown or dark at times, this does not make them unhealthy. They may turn dark from like camimom said, trying absorb the heat, stress, fear...

I read that when a chameleon turns darker colors, browns and blacks, they are stressed or something is wrong. I didn't know that they also did this when they are absorbing heat. Thanks for the help! I guess I am just a bit paranoid. :eek:

If they stay dark all the time it should be a concern. They turn dark when they absorb heat, so it's normal that when they are basking they are darker then usual.

I read that when a chameleon turns darker colors, browns and blacks, they are stressed or something is wrong. I didn't know that they also did this when they are absorbing heat. Thanks for the help! I guess I am just a bit paranoid. :eek:

well, I was trying to clarify that if they were not green all the time it did not mean they are unhealthy. I will agree if they were brown all the time then something may not be right as far as lighting, something causing stress or lastly they could be ill. But changing colors from green to brown or a darker color is normal.

what.is his age? if hes an adult 83is pretty low. what are you gauging your temps with? have you tried a couple different thermometers? if hes an adult bump it up to id say 90. If hes still young make sure you're getting the correct temp measurement.

what.is his age? if hes an adult 83is pretty low. what are you gauging your temps with? have you tried a couple different thermometers? if hes an adult bump it up to id say 90. If hes still young make sure you're getting the correct temp measurement.

Brick is about 6 months old, so he still has some growing to do.

well, I was trying to clarify that if they were not green all the time it did not mean they are unhealthy. I will agree if they were brown all the time then something may not be right as far as lighting, something causing stress or lastly they could be ill. But changing colors from green to brown or a darker color is normal.

He is a nice mint green color when he is walking throughout the cage.

Back
Top Bottom