Weird Mouth / Tongue Thing

Hadeesh

So earlier today I was observing my Jackson, and out of no where he sort of did this thing where he open his mouth really wide and stuck his tongue out about an inch from his mouth. After that though he went back to doing normal chameleon stuff. Also, he hasn't been eating as much lately, today nothing at all. He is drinking normal though.

So, think he's sick?

Your Chameleon - Jacksons, Male, 6 months. In my care a month.
Handling - Practically never.
Feeding - Six or eight Crickets, @8-11am. Gutloaded crickets with flukers calcium diet and mustard greens
Supplements - Zoo med Calcium Everday, Zoo med Multivitamin twice a month, Flukers Calcium d3 twice a month.
Watering - Spray bottle and drip system, Three or four times a day, 20 seconds. I see him drinking.
Fecal Description - White urates, normal balls of poop.
History - N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 1/2 Inch PVC coated wire cage, 44x18x24
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0, Zoo med 50w Basking Bulb, Zoo med 75w Intense Basking bulb (when needed),Zoo med double light fixture, generic lamp for uvb bulb.
Temperature - Basking Spot 80-87 Floor 70-75 Daytime, 60-65 Nightime. Two seperate thermometers.
Humidity - 50%-80%, Depends on when I mist. Between mists 50%-60%. Drip system and misting.
Plants - All fake.
Placement - My room, the top of the cage is 60 inches above the ground.
Location - Washington, USA.

Mine did that for about 2 months and now he seems stopped. Did that a lot of times a day but now just very rarely.
Nobody could tell me what it is.... I have no idea. I'd really like to help you but I wish I knew. How often does he do that? Mine did when he ate. He has problem with his tongue btw,can't stick it out every time.( possibly injured)

Check the care sheets on the supplements for jacksons -
As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month.
I'd also suggest switching out to cricket crack - instead of the Flukers
It sounds to me as if he was just being a bit of teenager but tongue problems seem to pop up with supplement problems from what I have witnessed here.
Also check the Zoo Med to see if it has any D3 in it - There is a brand out there that has it in and has a picture of a Jackson on it -

Nah, it's just calcium. Has a picture of a gecko or somethin.

But thanks, glad to know it probably isn't anything serious :)

Well I'm not an expert - I've only had my jackson since May and I had to change her name from Sherlock to Sherley - as her horns never grew- but I got her very young and at about 4 or 5 months she started opening her mouth when I'd look in her cage - she was really little and I finally figured out she was telling me to bug off - and let her eat in peace. I would keep an eye on the tongue though it may be an injury - give him a wax worm and see if he eats that - Sherley is a real picky eater one day she love crickets the next day she will not eat them - I changed out the tree in her cage and she didn't eat for two days - I gave her a wax worm and she scarfed it down - (they good for treats but not great for everyday)

Back
Top Bottom