What chameleons in Madagascar eat....

Great and important page. I remember talking to Ardi about my and my brother's theory about larger chameleons feeding on vertebrates (CIN Thoughts For Food,page 32, Lizards as Prey). She went on to research that theory to Calumma parsonii parsonii in Madagascar and Trioceros melleri in Africa preying on small birds. The prey chart for each species were a neat add too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Great and important page. I remember talking to Ardi about my and my brother's theory about larger chameleons feeding on vertebrates (CIN Thoughts For Food,page 32, Lizards as Prey). She went on to research that theory to Calumma parsonii parsonii in Madagascar and Trioceros melleri in Africa preying on small birds. The prey chart for each species were a neat add too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That's been a pretty common theory, no?

That's been a pretty common theory, no?
Not back then that theory was not accepted of even heard of at all.. And no it is not a theory anymore. Calumma parsonii parsonii, Furcifer oustaleti, Trioceros melleri and other large chameleons have been for the most part to my knowledge have been well documented as preying on small vertebrates in captivity and the wild such as small birds, small reptiles and other small invertebrates.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

If they actually are eating mosquitos in the wild then that should be one of the contributors of b vitamin for them in the wild. guessing by the blood they consume in other animals.
Did you chose B vitamins to be funny? Incite conversation? B vitamins are supposed to repel mosquitos...not proven but it was funny that's the vitamin you chose to mention!

Did you chose B vitamins to be funny? Incite conversation? B vitamins are supposed to repel mosquitos...not proven but it was funny that's the vitamin you chose to mention!
Nope. regardless in it repels or not it should be found in the blood and thus transported from animal a to animal b through the chameleon eating the mosquito.

And now I realise it was A vitamin I was thinking about the whole time and wrote b. since b carrotai--a vitamin thing. But A vitamin in mosquito and a source of that for chameleons in the wild.

I like this thread and that article a lot. It's interesting, during my current chameleon venture, I am learning it is often more about the feeders than it is the chameleon...by this I mean, tending to feeders is basically a part-time job.
I'm realizing just how important variety is in their diet...for nutritional purposes and stimulation. I now feel very sad when I read threads or FB posts, etc. that state or allude to the chameleon only being fed "crickets and dubia," for example. I don't mean this judgmentally, but just showing a shift in perspective...

And now I realise it was A vitamin I was thinking about the whole time and wrote b. since b carrotai--a vitamin thing. But A vitamin in mosquito and a source of that for chameleons in the wild.
That's what I thought when I first read it...and thought you were being funny about the B vitamins because some people say B vitamins might repel the mosquitos in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom