What do i have??

melonman

Hi ive been told by the man i purchased my cham from. that it was a mt. kenya jackson chamleon. I have been looking around and it looks similar to others and he others arnt mt kenya..... I havent been around chameleons to know the species.....{how to tell the spieces on sight}.... so the membrs that know how to tell or can say what he is please reply thanks

Attachments

• cham.jpg
    cham.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 167
  • cham1.jpg
    cham1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 153
hmm

they definetly jacksons but as for locale i have no experince with them so im no help to u there lol

Trioceros-Jacksonii Xantholophus... which is a mt. kenya, the other mt. kenya is Trioceros-Jacksonii Jacksonii

Whats the diffrence and do you know how big they get?? :)

Im reading a book called " Masters of Disguise, a natural history of chameleons" very good book, very informational. Jackson originate back to the mountainous regions of eastern africa. Indeginous highlands of Kenya and Tanzania. their is a pygmy or dwarf Jackson from africa under the genre Rhampholeon, these are known as stumptail chameleons and spend their lives on ground rather than branches. The stumptails of madagascar are known as Brookesia, these are descended ancestors from the African Rhampholeon. now the two main species of jacksons youll see in pet trade are c. Trioceros Jacksonii Xantholophus and c. Trioceros Jacksonii Jacksonii. You have a Xantholophus and so do I, these are the most common out of any Jackson, and as you may know a lot of these now come from Hawaii after a Bad importation of jacksons from africa to hawaii, they were so stressed that they released them into the wild in hawaii to try and cure them back to health and they succesfully started their own population, now idk the percentage for sure but something like around 75-90 percent of all sold Jacksons in the U.S are from hawaii, ones from a captive breeder most likely come down from a pair of Chameleons from hawaii. the more colorful and vibrant jacksons known as the c. Trioceros Jacksonii Jacksonii also originate back to kenya, but they have a vibrant yellow pattern down their flank and noticable light blues and yellows around the head. I really would love to get one but idk where to get one. hope this helps:D

Sort of...

It comes from Kenya yes.

In "short terms" I would call it a Xanth ;)

In "short terms", they usually get referred to as:

Meru

Jack Jack

Xanth

SS, do u know anyone who owns a jacksonii jacksonii or where to purchase one?? i love how they look but dont know much about them and the pet trade. prices, availability. and xanths get the biggest if im thinking correctly?

Xantholophus is largest yes.

I hardly ever see any jacksonii jacksonii, or merus, let alone any for sale.

I believe there is a gravid jack jack around here somewhere...

Your best bet is to keep an eye out here, and on the off chance someone has some, try and persuade them to sell to you.

Fauna classifieds may be good as well.

You can also put in a WANTED ad in the classifieds here, that would be a good idea.

I rarely see anything but the xanths myself though...

Xantholophus is largest yes.

I hardly ever see any jacksonii jacksonii, or merus, let alone any for sale.

I believe there is a gravid jack jack around here somewhere...

Your best bet is to keep an eye out here, and on the off chance someone has some, try and persuade them to sell to you.

Fauna classifieds may be good as well.

You can also put in a WANTED ad in the classifieds here, that would be a good idea.

I rarely see anything but the xanths myself though...

ahhhh, makes sense, they are almost too good looking to be true! but if i were to get one it would be down the road or if the one i got now passes. im trying to hone my caretaking abilities before i take a step like that, but i should get some general direction as where to find one so when i do need one i wont have to look too hard. if you hear anything about someone having them for sale or breeding them just PM me, that would be awesome! :)

Back
Top Bottom