what do you use on floor of cage?

hollypops

Hi

At the min i use just kitchen roll.As Gollum (veiled) is about to go into a 4ft high cage i am wondering what you all use.

I have just read a post on the reptile forum uk about a veiled cham just having a bad fall in a 4ft cage.Keepers on there are saying put something soft at bottom to break a fall.

What do you all do or suggest please as it has got me worrying incase Gollum ever falls.

i dont use anything at the bottom of my cages. Nothing but plants and vines in the cages. Its really unlikely that your cham will fall

a healthy chameleon will rarely fall. short falls rarely cause severe damage.
I use either just paper towel, or, folded up big cotton bath towels with paper towel overtop. paper towel is changed frequently, bath towels are changed weekly. I dont have a lot of water going all over to be concerned about (i primarily use targetted drippers). You have to balance the possibility of a fall hurting them against the more possible chance of a substrate harbouring bacteria, mold, insects and/or being ingested and causing illness or impaction.

Thanks .He has never fallen before but reading the thread on uk froum got me wondering as 4 ft is a huge fall for a cham.

Yes a 4 foot fall could hurt him depending on how he lands but the thing is you would have to have some thick padding to break a fall and you cant have that in a cham cage. I have only had one of my chams fall that i know of and it was because a branch broke as he was on a large ficus plant. He wasn't hurt during the fall he just kinda looked at me after he fell like you going to help me? Lots of plants in the cage is the best you can do for breaking a fall but odds are your cham wont fall. If he does fall he might have some health issues not related to the fall.

Back
Top Bottom