What is this???

BocaJan

Glad to be able to share some of what we learned here by our own mistakes in the past. Pease do not take this as a slight, as I have enormous respect for the attention that you give your animals, and the information that you spend here, to include going to the trouble to get that photo of the maggots posted. It is a perfect example of what can go wrong with the water crystals. I do not use them, but I do reference them often, and your experience with the maggots might open some eyes. I thank you.

The phorid flies lay their eggs in moist areas. Hard to say what they are from for sure...there are a lot of possibilities. If you removed the dish and put it into a sealed container and let them grow you will find out what they are if they move into the adult stage.

The phorid flies lay their eggs in moist areas. Hard to say what they are from for sure...there are a lot of possibilities. If you removed the dish and put it into a sealed container and let them grow you will find out what they are if they move into the adult stage.

That is a great idea! And sounds like a lot of fun. That is what I would do for sure. Get an ID on the culprit.

same problem

I found the same thing along with these tiny fly/bugs in my "water" dish and in the black tubes. I make an extra effort to get all dead crickets out of the container and clean it out 2x a week, sometimes more. What do other people use for cricket containers?

Back
Top Bottom