What live plants for terarium?

Croton is like many plants. It is considered safe, but if your chameleon is a big vegetarian you may want to consider something else. Same can be said about pothos. I have used these two and definitely recommend them.

Ive only seen my girl really munch on Hibiscus, she LOVES hibiscus, I always see bite marks our of teh leaves. But like stated above I can never ake them last more than two weeks. Im know for a fact im doing something wrong.

I honestly cant keep my plants alive, i have to change them once a month, the only things that dont die are the pathos, there like the tanks of plants. I need to find a good ficus
Look for a variety of Ficus called the lance leaved Ficus (Ficus alli). It has long blade-like leaves that are much sturdier than the usual weeping fig (Ficus benjamina). You often see it with multiple trunks trained to braid. It grows larger, is much sturdier, and I've had better luck with it. Check for it at garden centers or houseplant dealers. Remember, Ficus tend to drop their leaves when something changes...they are moved, changes in light they get, the moisture levels, etc. The leaves do grow back if the plant gets over its shock. Also, most plants drop leaves on branches that are too shaded. So, many cage plants end up with a tuft of live green foliage at the top near the lights, but lose the leaves at the bottom. You can help keep them fuller by adding a growlight fixture vertically along one side of the cage. If you have a really shaded part of the cage where plants just don't do well you can use a fake to provide structure and leaf surfaces to hold water droplets. Remember to keep your potting soil drained. Cage plants get overwatered by all the misting we do, so the soil can sit saturated much of the time. This can suffocate and kill the roots. Don't use a pot saucer or if you do, keep it emptied. Add drainage material to your pots...perlite (in the lower part of the potting soil), pebbles, bark or very very coarse sand. Not fine sand...it tends to fill all the air spaces and smother the roots faster.

Back
Top Bottom