What si the best camera these days?

yankfanthom

Established Member
I'm tired of using my Phone for all my pics and I would like to get a good camera. Anyone have any suggestions? Under 600-700 dollars.

You should be able to pick up a lower end (or used) dslr for that price. thats the way I would go.

The canon T3 is on sale at best buy for 488.89 (normally 549.99) - and when i added it to my cart it gave me a free bag..so thats a pretty good deal!

Ya cannon t3 rebel is actually really good i got it for my gf when it was a lot more expensive at the current time definitely good quality pictures and HD video's

I had the rebel t3I and loved it but my dogs shredded it and I didn't even have it for 6 months :mad: I plan on getting another one soon tho.

While not wanting to get into "which" brand is the best, me recommendation would be to get something with the BEST glass possible in the lens. The best camera body can be rendered pretty useless without a lens that is capable of doing what you want it to do.

That being said.........I also, wouldn't buy anything that didn't have the rechargeable "lithium ion" battery packs.......pick up an extra battery and you will thank me later.

We've only ever owned Sony and Panasonic brand camera's and to tell you which brand on the market in today's day and age is the BEST would be like attempting to convince you which make of automobile is the best. It is a personal preferance type thing. It is nice (at least to me) to have an actual MANUAL on how the camera operates in the package with the camera. A lot of manufacturers today are sticking to online manuals and I don't care for that being the ONLY option for owning one. I find that I can search through the manual physically a lot faster and find what I'm looking for much quicker. I also like to be able to lay it down in front of me and actually DO what is instructing me to do.

Again..........just a personal preference.

I've been admiring some of the pictures that some members here take and am awe-struck by the quality of them. When a picture really "speaks to me", I find myself asking the photographer.........WHAT camera did you use on a pretty regular basis. As a matter of fact, there was a thread somewhere not to long ago about digital camera's here on the forum.........it was a very informative read and I recommend trying to find it. A camera with the ability to control the shutter speed and aperature is a very important thing to me also. Truly, it depends on how much time you are wanting to spend "PLAYING" with the camera and taking lots of pictures. I enjoy doing that sort of thing when I have the time to.

Digital camera's are the BEST invention since the spoon........imo. :D

Last edited:
Winterhawk is right about the glass. If you do get a canon dslr a really cheap upgrade is to get the 50mm 1.8 II lens (its around 100-125).. its a prime lens so there is no zoom but the quality is amazing for the price. I know a lot of people like the 100mm 2.8 macro lens (around 400ish?-550ish?) as well for their chams. I personally dont have this lens yet, I haven't had any problems taking pictures of my chams with what I have but I will still definitely pick it up when I can.

also, i think the thread he might be referring to is one i started - what kind of camera do you use? i could be wrong but i havent noticed many other camera threads recently. I was debating writing a sort of tip blog on some dslr settings and what some of the stuff is for... Just wasn't sure if it would actually help anyone. :p

I am really curious to see what you end up doing.

Last edited:
i use a cannon point and shoot and can get better pics than that of a dslr sometimes. was $120...look at my "amature photography" album if u dont believe me :p

I personally use a sony alpha33. The good thing about it is, is that unlike most DSLR cameras, it shows a live display. This is the only camera I know of that is great, and does this.
Another good camera is a nikon D40. Like most DSLR's, is doesn't have live display,
Meaning that you have to look through the eyepiece to see what you're shooting, unlike the sony alpha33 DSLR

Most newer dslrs do have live view now. Although one of the coolest parts of sonys dslrs is that the image stabilization is in the body, so you dont have to pay such a premium for lenses with IS A few other brands have IS in the body as well. Some dslrs also have articulating screens if thats something you're interested in.

I think something you should strongly consider is - are you going to want to buy any used gear. If so, then canon or nikon is probably going to be easier to pick up used lenses and whatever else for Vs. sony, pentax, panasonic, olympus etc. If you don't buy used stuff then it doesn't really matter.

Most newer dslrs do have live view now. Although one of the coolest parts of sonys dslrs is that the image stabilization is in the body, so you dont have to pay such a premium for lenses with IS A few other brands have IS in the body as well. Some dslrs also have articulating screens if thats something you're interested in.

I think something you should strongly consider is - are you going to want to buy any used gear. If so, then canon or nikon is probably going to be easier to pick up used lenses and whatever else for Vs. sony, pentax, panasonic, olympus etc. If you don't buy used stuff then it doesn't really matter.

I'm going the route of charging it and Dell.com is running 0% for 12 months so I figure now is as good a time as any LOL

Is it just a dell credit card you can use anywhere, or do you have to buy whatever off dell.com? I'm not sure how that works.

Is it just a dell credit card you can use anywhere, or do you have to buy whatever off dell.com? I'm not sure how that works.

Its just using dell financing on their site would I get 0% for the 12 months. It unfortunately can't be used anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom