What type of wood?

what type of wood should I use for a new cage, pressure treated or not? The pressure treated along with a sealant would protect it from any water damage right? Or should I use PVC for a new cage? Which is cheaper?

I would be very careful with pressure treated wood. It contains some very deadly chemicals. On mine I went to the local sawmill and picked up a bunch of scrap white oak 1"x amd cut and planed them to the size i needed. I did seal the wood with a min of 6 coats of poly. I let the poly dry for several days then scrubbed it with a bleach solution befor i cut and assembled. This was probably not needed but i did it anyway.

I wouldn't use pressure treated wood it's treated with toxic chemicals (amine copper quat (ACQ) and copper azone (CA)) to protect it from rotting and insects. So i wouldn't think this would be good for a cham either.

Do not use treated lumber. I'm building one right now and I do not plan on waterproofing the wood. The water from the mist system will not drench the wood. I understand that it will not last as long but it won't rot in a year either.

Back
Top Bottom