Which (if any) of my chameleons are gravid???

martindean32

Hiya I was told yesterday that one of my Oustalet chameleons are gravid. The question is which one??? Also if one is I have filled a opaque really useful box with sand and water but the sand only reached halfway up the container, is that ok???? Either that or I have purchased a litter bin which she can and I can put the sand from the RUB into the litter bin, so which would you say is best to use as the sand will conpletly fill the litter bin. I will put pictures of both my Chameleons plus a picture of both the containers below and let you lot decide on which is best to you and which out of my 2 chameleons looks gravid????

1st chameleon:

19072010121.jpg

2nd chameleon:

19072010122.jpg

Now the 1st container and how much its filled:

19072010123.jpg

Now the 2nd possible container I can use for its laying site:

19072010124.jpg

So if you can help me to decide which one is gravid (if any) Ill be ever sooo thankful!!!:D

Many thanks

Martin Dean

i think the second cham is gravid and id go with the square bin but filled up a bit more. make sure to try to not be around when she is digging and laying as she may abandon the tunnel and start over which can cause stress.

The person who told you one was gravid wouldn't tell you which one? That seems rude.

The first laying bin looks like the better one to me. I do think you need more sand in it. I think you should ideally have around 10 to 12 inches, though people have said you can get away with less.

I have one problem in that the store where I got it from (Argos) is now shut until tommorow so is there anyway I can get away with what sand I have got now until tommorow????? The problem I have is that on my 1st post people was saying that the 1st chameleon looks gravid and now im getting that the 2nd chameleon looks it!!! So I duunno which one is?????? Confusing!!!:confused:

So I need an answer ONCE AND FOR ALL, which of the chamelons is male and which is female??????:confused: Ill do the piccies again below:

This is the first one (I took this piccy just now):

19072010122.jpg

This is another piccy of the first one (I took this piccy yesterday):

18072010118.jpg

Now this is the piccy I took today of my 2nd chameleon:

19072010121.jpg

And this is the piccy I took yesterday of it:

18072010117.jpg

So which is pregnant and hence is female?????

As ive said all help will be thankful for!!!:D

Many thanks

Martin Dean

Yesterday LinkinParkRulez08 told you that the one in the second picture was the female.

Yesterday I told you that the greenish one is the female. "Regarding sexing them...look at the base of the tail...the male's tale is thicker "south" of the vent while the female's tail is thinner there...but with oustalet's the color is a giveaway in any I've seen too. Females usually have a greenish tint to them."

In the pictures in your first post IN THIS THREAD the female is the in the first one and the male is in the second. Look at how wide the base of the tail is in the second picture (base of the tail...part nearest the body) and how the female's tail base is a different shape.

In post #4 today...the one labeled "And this is the piccy I took yesterday of it:" is the female. The picture in #4 post that is labeled "This is the first one (I took this piccy just now):" is the male.

The clear container you showed does not have enough substrate in it. The substrate needs to be at least 12" deep. The container should be opaque but you could just put something (cardboard) around that container to make it opaque.

I thought Opaque meant clear!!! silly me!!!! Im going to get some more sand from Argos when I wake up today :D And Ill get some cardboard to put around the sides of the RUB that has the sand in but do I put the cardboard on the inside or outside of the RUB??????:confused:

In case you still can't tell which is which, I have put your pictures in my post, to tell you which one is which.

1st picture- FEMALE
2nd picture- MALE

Attachments

• 19072010121.jpg
    19072010121.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 19072010122.jpg
    19072010122.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom