Why not? its fun right?

Chali2naRap

Im just wondering why every time i read threads about flexariums, Repti- breezes ect ect, everybody encourages the repti breeze or the felxarium over other suitable cham enclosures only because they are easy to maintain all around? Personally i would always recomend something a little more challenging(as long as you know what your doing and have a plan for it), and thats why i personally chose an explorarium... but i havent seen anyone else who uses them. i always thought that a challenge is something that can be fun, and yea taking care of my cham is a pain in the arse a lot of the time and figuring everything out with temps and lighting can be difficult but honestly after having everything perfect the way you want it, temps and all... i would have to say that even though it was a challenge, it pays off for a super sick set up and i enjoy taking care of my cham... doesnt everybody? So why Mainstream enclosures? - Very Very diverse set up, Scientists believe that a big part of Chameleons being so successful in their natural environments is due to having such diverse environments... This puppy wasnt easy to set up, but the diversity is unbelievable

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 234
  • brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 154
  • basking spots.jpg
    basking spots.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 141
When you have more than a few, a pain in the butt is not something you want on your plate. :) Plus round enclosures don't efficiently use the space like a rectangular enclosure would.

The proper maintenance that comes along with any chameleon and keeping them healthy and dialed in, is seen as challenging enough by even the most experienced keepers.

In my opinion, you should focus on getting the basics right first.

Then start experimenting.

Id like to see if you still you still use the same setup in a year. ;)

Light in the cage is a no-no. I don't see any kind of barrier between the rest of the cage and the light. Major burn hazard. I would be worried about a fire hazard too.

edit: where's the UVB?

glass terrariumm... flexariums.. round flexariums..
people always have something to critice..
i mean if it works fine for you and your cham is health and stuff
then all is cool i suppose ;)
indeed wheres the uvb?
looking cool and like the idea ..
but only good for 1 chameleon and not a pair i guess ;)
or mabye a pygmy chameleon..

Light in the cage is a no-no. I don't see any kind of barrier between the rest of the cage and the light. Major burn hazard. I would be worried about a fire hazard too.

This.... o:)

and round cages are not space efficient as others have said; works fine if its your only setup, but when you have several...

i have a mercury vapor, i use this during the colder seasons, for summertime i got a 75 watt basking light and a 5.0 repti glow. and its a double light fixture. i have kept a close eye on this since day one knowing about the light situation. honesty have had no problems so far. hes never been up to the very top and i do spend hours on end just watching him. plus the temps are exactly where i want them. if problems ever were to occur i would renovate. i suppose with several chams this would be a big pain. but for my little jackson it seems to be doing a sufficient job. and I'm not in any way shape or form, saying my set up is the best way to go. its the harder/ riskier way to go, but so far im pleased with it. and have maintained it very well

It would be best to remove the light, especially since it's a MV bulb. I don't recommend MV bulbs in such a small setting without monitoring the UVB with a meter as they can put out dangerous rays that can kill.

At the very least, a barrier should be put up between the animal and the bulb so it cannot reach it.

It would be best to remove the light, especially since it's a MV bulb. I don't recommend MV bulbs in such a small setting without monitoring the UVB with a meter as they can put out dangerous rays that can kill.

At the very least, a barrier should be put up between the animal and the bulb so it cannot reach it.

there is no way he could touch the bulb, but possibly if he crawled to the top he could fall onto the light fixture. i made sure to put nothing around it. and what would be symptoms of him getting too much UVB because its a 100 watt and ive had him in there about 2 months now. also i have a back up 75 watt basking bulb and a 5.0 reptiglow and i could just use both sides of the double fixture if i needed too. maybe its just a cooincidance that he hasnt touch the fixture yet, but if he ever decides to crawl all the way up there i most likely will be getting a reptibreeze. i guess i kind of just took a gamble with this not fully knowing what to expect.

hey buddy. so how is this enclosure going for u so far? wat r d problems dat u have faced in going about your daily care?

Being proactive regarding your chams health is very important. If you identify a possible problem it is best to deal with it before something happens. It will save you money too. You may watch the cham a lot but it only takes a second for him to get hurt. There have also been instances of chams burning their tongue, which resulted in amputation. This resulted in surgery and intensive rehab. Just my opinion tho. Hope you can make the cage work. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom