Why the huge range in price on Panthers?

Hdale85

I'm just trying to understand the enormous range in price? I've seen babies for as little as 175, and as high as 450? Seems like a giant range for the same breed. I know they are in higher demand which is mainly why they are more expensive to start with? But getting higher then 300 then coupled with shipping seems like a lot.

Big breeders can charge big bucks. Plus you have to take into account the age, locale, sire/dam, gender, Any color already showing, etc.

It's like the difference between a pound puppy, and a pedigreed dog. You can probably find the breed you like at the pound or through a rescue, but if you truly want an exemplary specimen of the breed, you go through a registered breeder.

Same with panthers (and many other reptiles with line-bred traits, like crested geckos). You can get some pretty spiffy panthers for low prices (like through us! ;) ), and while they will likely be awesome panthers, some people want to know the lineage and more info about them for one reason or another. You don't always get that with the less expensive options. In addition, many breeders have line selected for specific traits - so the higher priced animals might have the specific things you are looking for in a panther.

Hope that helped!

-Jen

But there isn't a certification system for chams is there? The prices I mentioned were things I've seen from breeders or hobbyists here on the forum.

So really it's more just about who the parents are because it's likely near impossible to track the entire lineage.

Really.. its people will charge what other people will pay...

and who wouldn't pay big $$ for some of these beautiful creatures?

They arent bred fast the F5 generation without new wild caught animals being added into the mix. Usually you only know the sire/dam, but sometimes the breeders (usually smaller hobby breeders) can tell you the grand sire/grand dam.

I'm just trying to understand the enormous range in price? I've seen babies for as little as 175, and as high as 450? Seems like a giant range for the same breed. I know they are in higher demand which is mainly why they are more expensive to start with? But getting higher then 300 then coupled with shipping seems like a lot.

A breeder with a very good reputation and selling animals from a local (colour) that is harder to get can charge far more than the average hobby breeder offering an animal of uncertain lineage or locales that are more commonly available.

Why? Because some people really want a particular animal from a particular lineage, and are willing to pay top dollar for it.

Back
Top Bottom