Wife Wants A Chameleon

Wykyd

Hi folks, I'm new to these forums. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about chameleons and posting the DIY enclosure I'm building. I'm making this thread to help guide my wife and I in the right direction as far as selecting a chameleon, setting up the enclosure and just general knowledge.

Our local pet store deals in mainly Justin's Chameleons, Panther Chameleons and Veiled Chameleons. They also said on occasion they sell Meller's Chameleons. Granted this is my first chameleon, it is not my first reptile. I currently home 1.1 bearded dragons and 1.1 red tail boa. My wife has wanted a chameleon for a long time and when I found a nice corner cabinet to use as enclosure I told her we could do it. I'm wondering what the best selection might be. It's hard to choose exactly which one, inputs welcome. :D

Obviously the setup is dependent on which type of chameleon we select, but we planned on using the corner cabinet in combination with a ficus tree (I read they're good to use for chameleons). I've included a basic rendering of the enclosure including the tree. The enclosure is roughly 49"x28"x78". The ultimate plan is to have the top 2/3 of the front be basically wood trimmed plexiglass doors (depending on the view, it may end up being entirely plexiglass), the bottom 1/3 will be the original wood doors. Holes drilled near the top and bottom of the plexiglass for ventilation. I'm going to be building a shelf around 1/3 up from the bottom. The entire back of the inside of the enclosure I plan on doing foam work to insulate and create a nice background. Will weave reptile vines throughout to allow it to have some nice pathways to explore. Basking lights at the top with a dual florescent fixture spanning the length. A mister surrounding the entire top spraying down on all sides.

What thermostat is recommended to use for chameleons? I planned on just using a simple timer switch for the misting. What thermometer/hygrometer is recommended? Any other information is greatly appreciated as I intend on taking my time with the setup and acquiring the critter. I recently rescued a boa and am currently preoccupied with that (vet visits, building the enclosure, etc).

756a201f1f.jpg

Hi folks, I'm new to these forums. I'm looking forward to learning a lot about chameleons and posting the DIY enclosure I'm building. I'm making this thread to help guide my wife and I in the right direction as far as selecting a chameleon, setting up the enclosure and just general knowledge.

Our local pet store deals in mainly Justin's Chameleons, Panther Chameleons and Veiled Chameleons. They also said on occasion they sell Meller's Chameleons. Granted this is my first chameleon, it is not my first reptile. I currently home 1.1 bearded dragons and 1.1 red tail boa. My wife has wanted a chameleon for a long time and when I found a nice corner cabinet to use as enclosure I told her we could do it. I'm wondering what the best selection might be. It's hard to choose exactly which one, inputs welcome. :D

Obviously the setup is dependent on which type of chameleon we select, but we planned on using the corner cabinet in combination with a ficus tree (I read they're good to use for chameleons). I've included a basic rendering of the enclosure including the tree. The enclosure is roughly 49"x28"x78". The ultimate plan is to have the top 2/3 of the front be basically wood trimmed plexiglass doors (depending on the view, it may end up being entirely plexiglass), the bottom 1/3 will be the original wood doors. Holes drilled near the top and bottom of the plexiglass for ventilation. I'm going to be building a shelf around 1/3 up from the bottom. The entire back of the inside of the enclosure I plan on doing foam work to insulate and create a nice background. Will weave reptile vines throughout to allow it to have some nice pathways to explore. Basking lights at the top with a dual florescent fixture spanning the length. A mister surrounding the entire top spraying down on all sides.

What thermostat is recommended to use for chameleons? I planned on just using a simple timer switch for the misting. What thermometer/hygrometer is recommended? Any other information is greatly appreciated as I intend on taking my time with the setup and acquiring the critter. I recently rescued a boa and am currently preoccupied with that (vet visits, building the enclosure, etc).

756a201f1f.jpg

A few things. Your sketch, has a wood top. That is not going to work, you can not place lights inside of the cage with a chameleon, they need to be outside on top of a screen. They also need much more ventilation than the reptiles you are use to, and some holes in the top and bottom is not enough.

I like your corner idea alot. I do however have a few suggestions. Most people here will tell you, to make the door screen. As it is easier to prevent URIs ect, you cont have too but it would make it easier on you. So for this IMO you have 3 options.

1. Put holes in the plexiglass doors on the bottom. This will add a convection air flow like a exoterra cage does, and will work fine. The husbandry will change, and the way and time you mist will also need to change and you need to figure out dry times and get all that working before the cham. I would make like 3 rows of small holes very close together, so that feeders cannot escape.

2. Your corner panels on the front, make those a frame with screen. This would allow plenty of ventilation, and easier misting balance. It would also allow you more viewing area for your chameleon.

3. Your doors could be made of screen instead of plexiglass.

In 1 and 2, I would not use plexi personally, it will cost more for nice plexi than it will glass not be as clear and scratch easily. In 1, glass would be hard however so up to you just a suggestion :).

In all 3, the top needs to be screen, there is no way around that.

The mister needs to spray in the center of the cage on leaves, that is how the chameleon drinks. You can spray the walls too, but you need a center mist. Chameleons dont drink from bowls like a beardie does. They need dripping water.

How do you plan to handle drainage? That is the hardest part in building chameleon cages, and the most important IMO.

Last edited:
Oh and I would suggest a Panther or Veiled, most of the time Jacksons (I assume that is what "Justin's" meant) are wild caught. Veileds are the hardiest but Panthers are not much harder, and prettier to most people.

Panther's for a start.

Don't build your own cage for the first time. Take that from the guy who did. There are great choices out there now. I'd recommend a Dragon Strand cage, I have three.

A few things. Your sketch, has a wood top. That is not going to work, you can not place lights inside of the cage with a chameleon, they need to be outside on top of a screen. They also need much more ventilation than the reptiles you are use to, and some holes in the top and bottom is not enough.

I like your corner idea alot. I do however have a few suggestions. Most people here will tell you, to make the door screen. As it is easier to prevent URIs ect, you cont have too but it would make it easier on you. So for this IMO you have 3 options.

1. Put holes in the plexiglass doors on the bottom. This will add a convection air flow like a exoterra cage does, and will work fine. The husbandry will change, and the way and time you mist will also need to change and you need to figure out dry times and get all that working before the cham. I would make like 3 rows of small holes very close together, so that feeders cannot escape.

2. Your corner panels on the front, make those a frame with screen. This would allow plenty of ventilation, and easier misting balance. It would also allow you more viewing area for your chameleon.

3. Your doors could be made of screen instead of plexiglass.

In 1 and 2, I would not use plexi personally, it will cost more for nice plexi than it will glass not be as clear and scratch easily. In 1, glass would be hard however so up to you just a suggestion :).

In all 3, the top needs to be screen, there is no way around that.

The mister needs to spray in the center of the cage on leaves, that is how the chameleon drinks. You can spray the walls too, but you need a center mist. Chameleons dont drink from bowls like a beardie does. They need dripping water.

How do you plan to handle drainage? That is the hardest part in building chameleon cages, and the most important IMO.
My cages are both wood tops just cut holes where lights go. I've had the cages for years no problems

My cages are both wood tops just cut holes where lights go. I've had the cages for years no problems

Well its got holes with screen? That could work as well, screen is easier though :p. Holes = Ventilation which was what I was getting at.

Also are your cages completely screen? That is a lot different than OPs plan. He is trying to build a chimney sealed enclosure. Sorta like an Exo Terra, he needs a screen top.

Well its got holes with screen? That could work as well, screen is easier though :p. Holes = Ventilation which was what I was getting at.

Also are your cages completely screen? That is a lot different than OPs plan. He is trying to build a chimney sealed enclosure. Sorta like an Exo Terra, he needs a screen top.
Mine have screen door screen sides wood top bottom and back and just a big enough hole on top for heat lamp for female. male has slightly larger cage screen front and one side rest wood and same type of top I'll add some pics when I get home

Last edited:
I'm partial to Panther more colors also I made both my cages custom size to fit daughters room and look nicer in my opinion than a screen box and they cost me about $45 on materials each

I'm partial to Panther more colors also I made both my cages custom size to fit daughters room and look nicer in my opinion than a screen box and they cost me about $45 on materials each

45 aint bad. Not sure how you got out that cheap lol. I am not even close to done with mine and I am already in for over 200.

It's pine some screen cheap hinges,door paneling plywood and paint image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg notice there are real live plants above the cage I usually have fake vines connecting the two live plants that are normally above each cage and I can open the cages and let the critters intermingle and free all day also you can't tell but when critters are in there cages with doors closed they can't see each other to minimize stress image.jpeg image.jpeg female normally lives in this one and it's empty right now image.jpeg I made a little cabinet in the bottoms to house all the stuff like timers, mister reservoir that I have hooked up to the RO system with an auto float filler and some superworms

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 166
Also you can't see in the pic cause the plant camouflages them but there are two pretty large lights heat lamp and UVB basking bulb as well as a 5.0 VHO UVB bulb on inside this one doesn't get very warm and there is a fogger hooked up to an auto humidity temp switch that adds a very cool fog once In awhile

I really like the Dragon Strand cages. Can anyone refer me to some pics of one setup? I'm very interested in their PVC cages as this guy will be in our living room. I want to be sure this guy is as happy as can be. I personally loved the Panther Chameleon pictures I saw. I did mean Jackson's and dunno why I typed Justins.

My keeping reptiles more has to do with the learning curve than anything else. I have the general knowledge of husbandry and such, wasn't trying to compare anything I have to a chameleon. Mainly just after experienced keepers advice. I know some people jump in head first and try and solve problems later. I intend on preparing the enclosure long before someone calls it home.

Hey wykyd I plan on getting a dragon strand for a future male panther as well. Their cages seem to be the best around from everything i've read. I'd like the largest clear-sided enclosure they have for my living room, but i have been wondering if the solid sides it has will make ventilation difficult at all. Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, i'm just in a similar situation. Hope you get some more solid replies, i'll be following this. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom