will different subspecies of jackson chameleons mate?

Why would you want to deliberately mix them? Offspring will not be a new species, or even sub-species. If they are different sub-species/localities and their range does not overlap in the wild (no natural intergrades) then why do it in captivity?
It may be possible, but just because you can, dosent mean you should.
How will you market offspring?

I see nothing wrong with this post. But then again, I'm also one of those "purists" and "naturalists" who are interested in learning about these animals as they are (or as we understand them to be based on current science), and in not perpetuating genetic pollution based on misinformation or ignorance.

These debate has been taken place many times, with those interested in having "pets" being pro-cross and those interested in having a subject of study as being against it (and everything in between). The fact of the matter is that there are currently three recognized subspecies of jacksonii, and maintaining genetic consistency in captivity is not only beneficial to the hobby, but it is also our responsibility as serious enthusiasts (at least until we acquire more evidence of more or less subspecies).

The alarming rate of invasive species, such as calyptratus in Florida and jacksonii in Hawaii is as cool as the irresponsible (notice I made a distinction between irresponsible and responsible) crossing of taxa, and although the consequences of such practices or events may not be as apparent to us while we drive our gas-guzzling automobiles and strut around in our climate controlled concrete jungles, this trend is dangerous and worthy of debate.

Nonetheless, I agree with Jared in that the original author is most likely dealing with the only subspecies on the island, T. jacksonii xantholophus, unless he's really not in Hawaii and actually purchased different animals at a petstore that so happened to have all three subspecies-- which is highly unlikely.

Other than that, I'm staying out of this one :)

Cheers,

Fabián

wow this just exploded. sorry if it was an offensive question, i just didn't know at the time. i was just wondering if they would breed because i kept them all in the same cage and i wanted to be prepared to house all of them. my pit bull destroyed the cage and one female, luckily the rest got away and now im starting from scratch since my dog passed away from old age, this time ill try to post pics:D

Mixing species actually creates a sub species that has a high concentration of uranium. This would be a good source of alternative energy. however, the older chameleon forum members will get on you because they are paid by the gas companies to keep people from finding this out!

Fact are facts....:)

Shame on you Jojackson!:p

so true, ive seen it

you've got it Anilr !
- those "hybrids" can destroy pure lines
- nobody knows if they are fertile in further generations

when i used to breed jacko's i had 2 different subs...i just naturally separated them..i like the idea of keeping our lines as perfect as possible, if i think cham is even just possibly of a different "locale" than the possible mate i wont do it and hold off till i find perfect sets..maybe just me, but i initially feel the same way as jj ....dont screw with the lines (yes its possible to breed mutts, but why? ) :D

Back
Top Bottom