Will this work?

Kushcham

Established Member
Is it possible to replace my regular incandescent bulb for a daylight 6500k bulb? Do these put out any heat?

PAR20 50w Flood lamps

Yes, they do put out heat, but not a concentrated beam like you'd like for a basking spot. Basking areas benefit well from a flood or some spot lamps. I like to use the PAR20 50w Flood lamp for basking areas. It creates a lot of heat (as much as a 100w bulb) but not as much power is used. You can pick up a box of 6 for about $30 at Home Depot, much cheaper than individually ($8 each) and cheaper than the 'reptile' spot lamps you'll see at petsmart.

93612441-33dc-4c4a-86ba-3f5fadf49c91_400.jpg

Be sure you buy the FLOOD, not the spot. The spot;s beam of light and heat is too concentrated and WILL burn your animal. The flood lamps should be used only for adults and be at least 8" from basking branch for safe basking temps. It is also best to use these, and any spot or flood style lamp at an angle, this is more natural than straight down and easier for the chameleon to bask. It also lessons the chance of getting burned on the dorsal crest.

Do those put out quite a bit of heat because with using a regular incandescent bulb im already reaching 90 - 92 degrees.

I also should have specified that this is for a 6 month old female veiled, a 3.5 month old male panther, and a 3 month old female panther

What size cage are each of them in?

What size incandescent are you using and what sort of light hood/dome?

I don't think a CFL will make the type of heat you are already getting. The lamp I suggested above will work with younger chameleons, but care must be taken when setting up the lamp. It can't be placed on top of the screen, small chams could climb the top of the screen cage and get burned by sitting too close. This is why I say it should be used with adults.... but if the lamp is elevated off the screen a couple of inches it shouldn't be too bad.

Female veiled- 50"x21"x17" with a 60watt bulb in a 5" dome at an angle

Male panther-36"x21"x17" with a 40watt in a 5" dome at an angle

Female panther-20"x16"x16" and currently no basking bulb since she is just coming up on 3 months since hatch...the uvb bulb has the top at 78 to 80. Bottom is at 72 to 75

It's kinda one of those things that you have to play around with the wattage to see what works for that particular setup. I went thru so many different bulbs before I found what worked for me. The ambient temp in your house also plays into factor alot with how far the heat will travel

Yes, they do put out heat, but not a concentrated beam like you'd like for a basking spot. Basking areas benefit well from a flood or some spot lamps. I like to use the PAR20 50w Flood lamp for basking areas. It creates a lot of heat (as much as a 100w bulb) but not as much power is used. You can pick up a box of 6 for about $30 at Home Depot, much cheaper than individually ($8 each) and cheaper than the 'reptile' spot lamps you'll see at petsmart.

Be sure you buy the FLOOD, not the spot. The spot;s beam of light and heat is too concentrated and WILL burn your animal. The flood lamps should be used only for adults and be at least 8" from basking branch for safe basking temps. It is also best to use these, and any spot or flood style lamp at an angle, this is more natural than straight down and easier for the chameleon to bask. It also lessons the chance of getting burned on the dorsal crest.

hmmm i am going to try one of these out im going to home depot tomorrow...:D...

Female veiled- 50"x21"x17" with a 60watt bulb in a 5" dome at an angle

Male panther-36"x21"x17" with a 40watt in a 5" dome at an angle

Female panther-20"x16"x16" and currently no basking bulb since she is just coming up on 3 months since hatch...the uvb bulb has the top at 78 to 80. Bottom is at 72 to 75

Yeah, it seems like you have things worked out ok. As the get older and are in taller cages the lamps I am suggesting will work well. Just need to find the right spot. I like them becuase they make a lot of heat and can be far enough away that it is a larger warm area for them to move around in while in UVB. It's just worked well for me.

i am also intrested whats the difference between spot and flood? can you post a picture of the two or is there a way to tell?

i am also intrested whats the difference between spot and flood? can you post a picture of the two or is there a way to tell?

The difference between the two will be the label on the box.... but to double check by looking at the actual lamp; the flood has dimples on the glass to diffuse the light, the Spot will have either a clear glass or even just a frost over the glass. Sometimes you will be able to see through the glass of a spot lamp.

You can see in the photo below, the dimples indicating a flood lamp.

par20-daylight-nfl_2.jpg

Below is the spot lamp.

PAR20-SP__20515_zoom.jpg

i just bought one of these today:D...lets see how it works out tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom