Woke up to find a stressed Cham!

I think a few folks are getting tunnel vision over the stats of nosymitsio's various bulbs and ignoring the results.

He has already stated that the temperature at the basking spot is 85-86 deg. It really makes no difference whether that is achieved by using a 100w bulb six inches above the screen or a 60w bulb 2" above the screen provided the animal can't get physically close enough to get burned.

I am going to guess that the reading of "5" is from a meter that measures UVB using the UV Index rather than µW/cm². Possibly a Solarmeter 6.5?

It may be cold there but that doesnt mean you need to up the temperatures even more.

And I agree with you cantgetagoodsn

But my temps are 85 at the max is that not fine no? And sorry if I'm opting to listen to my breeder who is well respected in the uk than yourselfs but if you read that link it clear states 10.0 with my cage is fine and my temps can be adjusted by moving the bulb further away? I understand what your are saying but when I phoned my breeder and explained to him he gave me good info and he has seen my set up and can't fault it? As a new owner I think a just panicked and read into it to much

I think a few folks are getting tunnel vision over the stats of nosymitsio's various bulbs and ignoring the results.

He has already stated that the temperature at the basking spot is 85-86 deg. It really makes no difference whether that is achieved by using a 100w bulb six inches above the screen or a 60w bulb 2" above the screen provided the animal can't get physically close enough to get burned.

I am going to guess that the reading of "5" is from a meter that measures UVB using the UV Index rather than µW/cm². Possibly a Solarmeter 6.5?

Thank you for understand mate the real issue was could I be misting to much or is my Cham just being over territorial due to me no being in contact with him apart from cleaning and feeding?

I reread all your posts again. I think your little buddy was just trying to impress upon you that he is a big fearsome lizard and you had better retreat. Mine still likes to impress me like that once in a while too, especially if there is a stranger in the room.

I am curious which UVB meter you are using and the readings you are getting from the top to bottom of the enclosure.

I reread all your posts again. I think your little buddy was just trying to impress upon you that he is a big fearsome lizard and you had better retreat. Mine still likes to impress me like that once in a while too, especially if there is a stranger in the room.

I am curious which UVB meter you are using and the readings you are getting from the top to bottom of the enclosure.

I bought one simualr to the first on this link http://www.uvguide.co.uk/usinguvmeter.htmI then used the readings on the charts supplied to work out the out put from 6inches through mesh I tried and tested the two bulbs the repti sun 10.0 seemed to give exactly the right readings throughout the mesh where as I was getting a rather low reading with the 5.0 being directly on top of the mesh to my basking spot. I came to the conclusion that the 10.0 would be more suitable also if you look at madagascars uv readings on the net on the Forrest floor on a summers day can reach high levels of uv.

And your meter reading is "5?". What scale is it using?

Your link isn't working so I am not sure exactly of the page you are viewing.

10.0 should only be used for desert animals.

This is not true. 10.0 lamps have their place in chamelon husbandry. There are many factors to how much UVB will make it to your chameleon in a cage. UVB doesn't travel far and doesn't transmit through screen well, especially reptariums. It is best to identify the cage in use before determining if a 5.0 or 10.0 is to be used.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-readings-22893/

This is not true. 10.0 lamps have their place in chamelon husbandry. There are many factors to how much UVB will make it to your chameleon in a cage. UVB doesn't travel far and doesn't transmit through screen well, especially reptariums. It is best to identify the cage in use before determining if a 5.0 or 10.0 is to be used.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/some-readings-22893/

So if you have your chameleon outside in an enclosure, they will not really benefit from the sunlight then? I thought UVB did not pass through glass and plastic. Did not know about the screen. So the only way to get natural sunlight then is to have them straight out in the sun?

UVB is sunlight will pass through a screen outdoors but will lose roughly 40-60% of it's power. Your chams will still benefit due to the fact that the sun emits more UVB than most artificial sources, especially during mid-day sun.

There are some types of specialty glass that will pass varying amounts of UVB, but other than those, UVB is filtered out by glass and plastic.

well i do deamn a thought. chameleons can shift entire personality traits over night. my male was not very handleable but shoot, i could hand feed hiome 10 crix in a row no prob. now hes remarkably deffensive, and open his mouth hissing at me when i offer him food now. ive noticed both females and males change entire activity just due to maturity.

I think he might be experiencing heat stress. He is young and still learning to regulate his temperature.
85-86 I think is too hot. The temperature should be around 75-78 F for the basking spot and an ambient temperature of about 70-73 should be fine.
I dont think putting the temp up to 90 will do anymore good for him.
The UVB you are using might also be to strong, for panthers I recommend the 5.0 not 10.0.
The 100watt basking bulb I think is maybe too strong aswell, try a 50-75 watt.

What colours is he displaying now?
If he can also see other reptiles or animals that might freak him out aswell.

I hope he gets better soon.

Incorrect information.

If at anytime while offering advice as to how to keep an animal, you feel the need to use "I think" in a post in which you intend to tell someone what to do, your better off not posting. Not being rude mate, just frank.

For a juvenile panther, 85-86 degrees F. is perfect for basking.

You don't know the posters location, you need to know this before you tell him proper wattages for his setups. Nor do you know the material of the cage he is using (screen, mesh, glass) and thus should not be commenting on what UVB light to use either. Rather you should gather this information first, before making assumptions and passing out false or inapplicable information.

The same applies to Cantgetagoodsn, think and ask before you starting giving directions.

As to the original poster, what makes you think he has a URI? and what is you reasoning for raising the temps?

If you listen closely, does the animal make heavy noises while breathing? or do you hear a popping sound when it opens/closes its mouth? If not then the animal most likely does not have a URI. I only suggest raising the temperatures that high during sickness, and not for extended periods of time.

Without pictures I only can only make assumptions (not recommendations) as to what happened.

A. Crickets nibbled on him during the night and he is upset
B. He felt scared by your presence and tried to defend himself
C. he is entering the "tough guy" stage of development *aka chameleon puberty* and is trying to assert dominance.

S.F

Well then SF would you like me to just write IS instead of I think?

The temperature requirments for a specie of chameleon does not change from the different location you live in.
If it needs to be in the 70's and your climate is naturaly in the high 80's then you need to obviously drop the temperature either with an A.C, fans, etc.
And if your in a cold climate area then you need to make sure that you just get the REQUIRED temperature, because its cold doesnt mean you have to make it even more warmer than what it needs to be. Here in S.A we dont even raise panthers and veileds under heatlights during most of the year, they are only under a UVB source.

By the way if you read his first post, he said the chameleon is in a 18 by 18 by 24 repti breeze enclosure, which last time I checked was a SCREENED enclosure.
He also DID state that he is in Scotland.

I still go with what I said before and dont think that I supply wrong information.

I kindly suggest that you maybe read everything before making wrong statements.

@nosymitsio, you should really try to get pictures up of him so that this can be a whole lot easier.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for all the posts but I've listened and I've came to the conclusion that the two crickets a left might of annoyed him and my presence might of pushed him to far and he was moody here's a pic a just took and there is no pooping noses or any signs of uri. A think as a new Cham owner as was just paranoid as I really am trying to make sure my Cham has the best life possible here's my pic any and thanks again!
cabd4a88.jpg

Nice looking guy you have there! I can totally relate to your feelings of nervousness in your new guy as I have only had my 1st cham for about a month now. Just keep reading and learning and before you know it you will find yourself planning the next one. Keep us updated with pics!

So if you have your chameleon outside in an enclosure, they will not really benefit from the sunlight then? I thought UVB did not pass through glass and plastic. Did not know about the screen. So the only way to get natural sunlight then is to have them straight out in the sun?

Have you ever been in the shade of a shade cloth? Light comes through, but not as much? Screen enclosures have the same effect on the UVB and hear lamps we place on top of our cages. The larger the holes in the screen the more light goes through and the less light blocked. The smaller the holes in the screen the less light goes through and the more light is blocked....

Zoo Med 5.0 with an aluminum reflector at 6"

IMG_9601.jpg

Zoo Med 5.0 with an aluminum refltector at 6" BUT with screen....

IMG_9605.jpg

See how the amount of UVB is cut down by the screen, 17 micro watts less UVB. You lost 34% of your UVB because of the screen.... not a HUGE deal... but just remember screen cuts out UVB and visual light.

Back
Top Bottom