Wooden Dowels

BKO Overdrive

Established Member
So i see a few of you guys have these "bamboo" like rods in the terrariums. Are these simply Wooden Dowels held up by thumb tacs on each end? I have a 2x2x4' Cage and if i go on amazon i either see 36 inch or 12 inch. Obviously i need the 36 inch. I can cut sections off and have the correct length for it. The next question is how wide should i get them? Is 3/8s a good size? Thanks

The bamboo can be a little slippery for your cham to grasp. Why not just cut some branches off a tree close to you? Also best to use different diameters, I believe this helps them keep their grip working well...

The bamboo can be a little slippery for your cham to grasp. Why not just cut some branches off a tree close to you? Also best to use different diameters, I believe this helps them keep their grip working well...

I could do that as well. Isnt there a way to make them sturdier? Aka last longer. I think ive seen pic of people soaking them in something but i could be wrong, also trying to think of what I can use the naturally file my chams nails down. Her nails are getting really long

Whatever you choose, it would be best to use some different diameters. It is going to more closely mimic the branches that would be found in their environment. You can also look for natural bird perches. I have used ones called Wacky Woods that are very cool. They come in all shapes and sizes.

I could do that as well. Isnt there a way to make them sturdier? Aka last longer. I think ive seen pic of people soaking them in something but i could be wrong, also trying to think of what I can use the naturally file my chams nails down. Her nails are getting really long

Not sure about making them last longer..I just soak mine in soapy water, rinse really well, then soak in just hot water, rinse again. BOOM! good to go.

I personally would't touch his/her nails. If given the proper branches and things to climb on, they will maintain themselves. They need their nails to grip onto all the branches.

Oh yeah im def not going to clip the nails, i was hoping by adding harder surfaces and wider surfaces it would file them down slightly. What ill do is ill go to a hobby store and see what kind of dowels they have, ill get a range as you guys sugested. I currently only have two Large exo terra bendy vines in there and i went from a med cage to a XL cage and its simply not enough, my girl has only a few places she can go to

Lowes, home depot, Menard's, fleet farm are good places to look for dowels and don't cost an arm and a leg to buy!

I think the dowels do wear down the nails a little too aggressively, but variety of materials and sizes is the key. If you have soft plants and bendy vines with no woody perches, adding a dowel to the mix could be good. 3/8 for bigger chams, but 1/4 for smaller ones would be good. The dowel does have to be wide necessarily, they will still use their nails to grip a narrow dowel. If have have the bendy vines, those are pretty wide (so you have the variety of diameter already covered), and I would use a smaller dowel.

I would advocate for natural wood over the dowel, but the dowels hold up much, much better if placed directly under your mister or dripper.

The trick with securing the dowels, especially for a heavier cham is to brace them so they don't rotate. I didn't realize this at first, and my first cham Ferdinand went on a bit of a carnival ride :). He was fine, just startled.

The trick with securing the dowels, especially for a heavier cham is to brace them so they don't rotate. I didn't realize this at first, and my first cham Ferdinand went on a bit of a carnival ride :). He was fine, just startled.

LMAO... same here.... too funny, I got it on video..wish I didn't erase it.

Oh wow i didnt even think about it rotating. Good point, any tricks or tips on preventing it from rotating? Sadly ill prolly have to use the dowels as I dont have a tree on my property and i dont want to start sawing the neighbors tree limbs off lol. I have a Money Tree in there and Two Pathos that I have draped over the vines and all over. They will get misted alot so i need something that will withstand it. Ill get some smaller dowels as she has only ever crawled on the large vines and the pathos vines and money tree branchs

How are you attaching them? 2 tacks/pins side by side will do the trick... or a little sticky tack at the end of the branch then a tack/pin from the outside.

I did one tack in the middle originally. Oops! Two will work. Currently, I have cross bars attached for a little extra stability. My current cham Bucky is very large, and it puts a lot of pressure on the screen.

You can use fishing line and hang them, too. Someone also had a great about threading dowels through hanging plastic chain for support. If I find that thread, I'll post the link.

I did one tack in the middle originally. Oops! Two will work. Currently, I have cross bars attached for a little extra stability. My current cham Bucky is very large, and it puts a lot of pressure on the screen.

You can use fishing line and hang them, too. Someone also had a great about threading dowels through hanging plastic chain for support. If I find that thread, I'll post the link.

Yeah i was going to put just one pin in it, but i wouldnt of thought of it spinning. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom