Wooooooooooooooppppp!!!!!!!!!!

ZuggieTheCham

Our silk-moths have finally emerged this morning feels like we've been waiting foreverrrr!!!!! was just about to loose my patients with them too! So excited for the rest to come and get some eggs :D heres a pic of a male he's the first one to show his face :)
5284d4b7-31ae-58af.jpg

Well i heard they only take up to ten days to emerge, mines been there for 2 weeks and first one emerged today i was gonna throw them too!! So don't b chucking them be patient :D

Well i heard they only take up to ten days to emerge, mines been there for 2 weeks and first one emerged today i was gonna throw them too!! So don't b chucking them be patient :D
Hey! Congrats! Aren't they just the cutest little things?! Once they have finished breeding and laying you can feed them off. I can't do it as I find them too cute :eek:, plus they were too big to feed to Monty at the time.

I took this photo yesterday. Gotta wait for eggs now. How long do they stay connected?
DSCN3406.jpg
I had some stay connected for at least 24 hours. Females only carry enough eggs to breed and lay once. She may go on to breed with other males (they are worse than rabbits, lol) but will only lay the one clutch.

Yeah they are haha its pretty mad didn't think they would even emerge! So was surprised when i checked on them this morning! Hopefully some more show up tomorrow :D I'm thinking its the weather tbh?? They've been there for two weeks or more and then the hot weather hits and the first one comes so??

Congrats!! We're contemplating trying to breed silk worms. So new to all of this! Any tips you would be willing to share would be most welcome!

My condolences, Zuggieslittlehelper. They're fragile little fellow. Very cool though.

Zuggiethecham, we only just bought our first two tubs of silkworms last week. We moved them to a sterilised tub. We feed them mulberry chow & clean their poo every other day.

We have a rough idea. Get some worms, feed em up and let them cocoon. Moths should be paired off (m/f), kept warm & dry. Then put eggs in the fridge until they start to hatch. Is that around about right?

My condolences, Zuggieslittlehelper. They're fragile little fellow. Very cool though.

Zuggiethecham, we only just bought our first two tubs of silkworms last week. We moved them to a sterilised tub. We feed them mulberry chow & clean their poo every other day.

We have a rough idea. Get some worms, feed em up and let them cocoon. Moths should be paired off (m/f), kept warm & dry. Then put eggs in the fridge until they start to hatch. Is that around about right?

Yeah u get the gist of it :D If u want to start breeding take some silks aside say 6 but 3 in one tub and three in another doesn't matter what tub standard tubs u get with your crickets from pet shop they'll do fine just wash them out ! Lol they grow so fast in small batches and in the dark I've noticed too! And will spin their cocoon faster :) once theve spinned it leave it for around 3 days (until they have fully made their cocoon and its strong enough for u to move them) i pulled off the excess silk around the cocoons, and put them in a separate tub all my cocoons together with a layer of tracing paper or grease proof paper they both worked for me at the bottom and they will emerge within 2 weeks mine took 2 weeks exactly lol! They will instantly start mating! For around 24 hours! Then the female will lay her eggs all of mine has laid around their cocoons lol once they turn greyish purple then time for the fridge :D hope that helped and wasnt to complicated lol!!

Back
Top Bottom