worried about my female jackson

brownie64

Avid Member
Yesterday she looked very pale, lethargic, and sickly. Today she looks normal, but won't eat nor has she ate since I fed her 8 super worms. The little voice in my head was saying too much because she never eats like this. But this was the first time I feed her superworms, and she was really enjoying them. So did I over feed her, will this pass or should I be worried? I can't find any new poop either. She is drinking fine her temps are 81 degrees basking, 70-72 ambient. My misting schedule is 45 seconds every three hours. Her lights are on from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm. Humidity is around 68% low side, 80% high side. She eats gut loaded crickets, and the superworms. and cockroaches on occasion, got to buy small hissers because pet store don't carry Dubia. The enclosure is a 55 gallon aquarium with a screened enclosure on the top for fresh air. This is where she spends most of her time. I also pump in air into the tank to keep the air from becoming stale and causing mold. She has a newer version CFL UVB 50 what basking lamp, and plant CFL. One last thing to note she has been with my male since the beginning, bought her that way. Do to something coming up wasn't able to finish their enclosure do to finances. So there is a possibility she could be gravid. Any help in this matter would be helpful. :confused:

How long ago did you feed her the worms from today? Jackson's have a very conservative appetite due to the lower temps they like. My 1 year old male eats about 2-3 dubia roaches and about 2 superworms on average per week, and seems quite content. Whenever i try to feed him more, he simply refuses…

So long as your girl is drinking and is generally active, i wouldn't worry too much. Jackson's are water-holics; it's when she stops drinking there's a problem...

Day before yesterday. but today I put another superworm in front of her just to see if she was interested, and she snatched it before I could do anything. I truly hope these worms aren't causing her digestive problems. She won't even entertain a cricket. Now the male ate 6 crickets, and 1 superworm. These guys absolutely go nuts after these worms it must be what they fed them at the breeders. How many should I let them have and be safe?

On the upside she looks really good today, and drank real well. Maybe she was just trying to go to bed a little sooner than usual?

Can you over feed? Absolutely. If you fed her 8 med-large supers you over fed her and she probably doesn't need to eat for a week.

Please read this and follow it as close as possible if you would like to have your Jackson's for a while.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

Thanks for the info. I have read this several times, and follow it as closely. However there is no reference to how many superworms to give. I figure from the cricket amounts maybe around 2-3 worms. So you think I shouldn't feed her for a couple days?

Day before yesterday. but today I put another superworm in front of her just to see if she was interested, and she snatched it before I could do anything. I truly hope these worms aren't causing her digestive problems. She won't even entertain a cricket. Now the male ate 6 crickets, and 1 superworm. These guys absolutely go nuts after these worms it must be what they fed them at the breeders. How many should I let them have and be safe?

On the upside she looks really good today, and drank real well. Maybe she was just trying to go to bed a little sooner than usual?

Just make sure you gut load them, and dust accordingly. 8 super worms is a lot for one day, so it's no wonder she wasn't eating for a while...

Just make sure you gut load them, and dust accordingly. 8 super worms is a lot for one day, so it's no wonder she wasn't eating for a while...

When I buy the superworms they come with a bed of oats. I believe they eat this because it seems to be disappearing. I also put carrots, an apple slice, and some mustard & turnip greens in with them and change it out every other day to keep it fresh. Is there something I should do different? How do you gutload yours?

Hmm I never knew you could over feed a Jackson's Cham..with mine I offer crickets dusted w/ repticalcium powder twice a day that are about half the siE of his head. And leave a few super worms in his dish. But with his eyesight not so good anymore I have to feed the crickets with tongs and usually after 2-3 each feeding he won't accept anymore.

Back
Top Bottom