Worried - Can you please post some pics?

ZiggyStardust

Hey everyone... I am hoping more experienced people can help me here?

Could someone please post a picture of the difference between a male and a female veiled, i.e. the spurs on their back legs?

I had what I thought was a male Veiled but now I am really unsure.... "he" has spent an awful lot of time at the bottom of the cage this week, trying to dig up the astroturf that I put down instead of the substrate that I was given when I bought my setup, and now I am worried, having seen someone post a picture of a male who had little bumps on the backs of his legs, because I honestly don't think my Cham has these. Its 1am in Britain now, so I can't double check until tomorrow, but I have a horrible feeling that my poor Cham, whom I thought was a male is actually a female and has been trying to find somewhere to lay eggs for the past week! Any identification help, by way of photographs, would be really appreciated.

If she is a female, then I need to sort a laying bin asap.

Thank you.

Panic over - Ziggy is definitely male. However, i still need to find out why he spends about 5 mins a day on the bottom of the viv, trying to pull up the astroturf. The viv isn't too hot, the humidity is good etc., and its only recently that I've seen him doing it. he seems fine in every other way, eating and drinking etc.

how big is your enclosure?

i raised my veiled from 4 weeks old and now he is 6 months. only in the last few weeks has he been cruising in the lower part of the cage. nothing else is strange but I'm upgrading the size this week. seems to me like he's bored and claustrophobic haha

sometimes males will dig, at LLL Reptile I watched 2 different males dig in the substrate at the bottom of their enclosures

digger ;)

My panther has done this 3 times now once he was trying to reach a vine he could see next to the viv (well I think thats why) and the other two im not really sure one might of been too hot the other no apparent reason?? Just curious I think he also sometimes chews on twigs or earth or leaves, not trying to eat them though?? They are funny little things lol ♡

My male Cham dug when I had substrate in his viv. Took the substrate out and he hasn't been on the bottom since. I think he was just TOO interested in it.

My veiled would take a trip down to the bottom of his cage several times a day. I put river rock over the dirt because he would try to eat the dirt all the time. Once the rocks went down there was no more dirt eating but he still traveled to the bottom a couple times a day. It was funny if I happened to open the door while he was down there he immediately "froze" in place so that by doing so he became invisible!

Back
Top Bottom