you think my cham could get sick from a used cage?

samuelLjacksons

I just got a screen cage off a person from craigslist. she said her dad had the cage for a couple weeks. he had got a sick cham and it died and then the rest of his reptiles died or something of that nature. I had already got it from her, and Im going to clean it out real good. It is pretty new but is there anyway my cham could get something from the cage?

havent put her in there. havent got her yet actually. I was waiting on this and another uvb.

Maybe. Some things can survive quite a while dormant.

I would bleach it really well and rinse it thoroughly and allow it to dry completely afterwards. Then I'd probably rinse again one more time just for good measure...

I think there is always a possibility that your cham could get whatever parasite or ??? that other reptiles had.

Personally I bought my cages off of craigslist. Owned by a guy who had both his chams die. but when I got all supplies from him I knew he was not supplementing properly and "trained" his chams to drink from water dishes.

I had asked the same question you did. Someone told me to just clean it out super good. with a 1 to 10 ratio bleach/water solution. water it down till you cant smell the bleach anymore. I also used hydrogen peroxcide (?) on the cage, again, washing it out ubber good. I let it air dry for a few days. So far my chams are doing great and healthy with no problems.

Some are going to say clean it real good, some are going to say don't do it. So its up to you. Just at first sign of any problems make a vet visit asap to try and take care of any ailments your cham might have

good luck

I say clean, clean, clean! It takes 5 seconds to fill a tub with water and bleach, let the cage soak, rinse, and then stick it in the sun to dry out.

Yes clean it for sure. Bleach works well.

Also there are a few parasites that don't die from bleach so a hydrogen peroxide rinse should be used as well.

I was recently told bleach will not kill Coccidia. There is a cleaner specially designed to kill Coccidia. You can purchase it off of bearded dragon .com

Back
Top Bottom