3...2...1...go!!

maxttu

The wife and I are in the planning stages of making a giant outdoor cage (GOC) for housing my BREEDING groups! You read that right! I'll be breeding at some point this year! :D

I need ideas. They'll be housed outside in the Texas heat and some brief periods of cold.

Our dimensions want to be 10'w x 8'd x 6 or 7'h. It'll be screened all around and on top for ventilation and wrapped in plastic during the cold periods.

Can anyone draw up some rough plans or walkthroughs on what you think it should look like?

Primary materials would be 2x4's and screen or hardware cloth. Ideas, suggestions, sketches are all welcome! Please and thanks! :)

it all depends on what you want. is it going to be out in the middle of your yard, attached to the back of your house? is there going to be a tree over the cage for shade, maybe a awning covering half of the cage?

All very good questions. It'll be in the backyard along the fence line. Freestanding. It will have moderate tree coverage. Morning sun until noonish and then mostly shaded during the hottest part of the day.

i dont think the temps get very hot untill 11-4ish. will you have a hose hooked up for misting?
maybe some will chime in and draw you a picture i am not good at that stuff:eek:

You could make something like this with a line of cages and wheels on it like a rickshaw type of thing so you can move it like in the garage if need be or something.

photo(10).JPG

I thought about doing something outside too but I worry about how hot it gets even in the shade.

You could make something like this with a line of cages and wheels on it like a rickshaw type of thing so you can move it like in the garage if need be or something.

View attachment 72910

I thought about doing something outside too but I worry about how hot it gets even in the shade.

That's a neat idea! My plan is to have a "walk in" enclosure.

Max, apologies in advance for my impending lack of contribution to the brainstorming session.

I did just want to say that I am excited to follow your build, and am sure it is going to turn out great based on your custom enclosures and general buidling creativity that I have seen from your various posts.

What will you be breeding?

maybe a kit greenhouse would be a place to start, replace some glass/plexi with screens and use shadecloth for the hottest times. they sell all kinds of accessories like heaters for winter and coolers for summer. Charlies has a catalog , maybe looking through it will give you some ideas. a great project no matter how you go about it. Placement is very important, too much south or west exposure may cook your chams.

you can make a small indoor area to for cold times. make a half and half cage.. look into chicken coop plans. and just scale them taller. and obviously finner mesh. I have a chicken coop and it would make an excellent chameleon condo. unfortunately my wife likes the chickens and no room for another one, that and im in Washington where the indoor section would have to be much larger than the outdoor area.

p.s. how you doin maxx. been awhile. my mobile forumin got taken out for awhile.. new laptop bringin me back!

I've always wanted to do a green house loaded with trees. There are some great affordable kits out there that I've been drooling over.

Max, apologies in advance for my impending lack of contribution to the brainstorming session.

I did just want to say that I am excited to follow your build, and am sure it is going to turn out great based on your custom enclosures and general buidling creativity that I have seen from your various posts.

What will you be breeding?

Thanks for the kind words! I'll be attempting to breed my Walker (banja) at 1st and then Broadway (ambi).

maybe a kit greenhouse would be a place to start, replace some glass/plexi with screens and use shadecloth for the hottest times. they sell all kinds of accessories like heaters for winter and coolers for summer. Charlies has a catalog , maybe looking through it will give you some ideas. a great project no matter how you go about it. Placement is very important, too much south or west exposure may cook your chams.

My original thought was to use some sort of canopy or greenhouse and then we thought why not make a more permanent enclosure. Shade is deffo a major factor in placement. It gets hot down here, but we have full trees with lots of shade during the hottest parts of the day.

you can make a small indoor area to for cold times. make a half and half cage.. look into chicken coop plans. and just scale them taller. and obviously finner mesh. I have a chicken coop and it would make an excellent chameleon condo. unfortunately my wife likes the chickens and no room for another one, that and im in Washington where the indoor section would have to be much larger than the outdoor area.

p.s. how you doin maxx. been awhile. my mobile forumin got taken out for awhile.. new laptop bringin me back!

If I do anything indoors, it would have to be in the garage. Nothing has been ruled out. With all of the heaters available and wrapping the sides, ala greenhouse effect, I think that we'll be able to maintain temps during the winter. We only have about 4-6 wks of "cold/almost freezing temps" down here. ;)

Life is good, bro! About to be back in Houston full time! The wife and I are pretty stoked about that! :D

I've always wanted to do a green house loaded with trees. There are some great affordable kits out there that I've been drooling over.

What have you seen, Jason? Post up a link or send me a pic!

Lol well I'll keep check on this thread it may be awhile til I get a couple breeding pairs. I've been talking about it with the hubby.

Great plan man! Happy to hear you are doing so well that you want to breed. Send me one!! :) oh yeah and PM me so we can catch up!

im liking the greenhouse idea, and remove some of the glass and replace it with screen. maybe have it be a huge wagon with a green house on it!

you say theres only 4-6 weeks of cold there.. better love it up for me. we get like 2 months of above 60 maybe. the rest of the year is cold rain.

you say theres only 4-6 weeks of cold there.. better love it up for me. we get like 2 months of above 60 maybe. the rest of the year is cold rain.

Yeah, well, the rest of the year for us is 90+! :mad: We have three seasons in Houston:

1. Hell :(
2. Hell with a million percent humidity :mad: :eek: :mad:
3. paradise :p :D

Back
Top Bottom