3...2...1...go!!

Here are some pics of what i kinda drew, but in real life.

Attachments

• greenhouse.jpg
    greenhouse.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 116
  • greenhouse 2.jpg
    greenhouse 2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 125
I will be building a storage with greenhouse attachment in the next year. Not necessarily for my Cham but for garden stuff. So I am certainly going to follow along for good plans :)

I knew this thread would come back to bite me in the arse! Y'all are gonna be expecting a mansion and I'll be producing a shack! :eek:

These are all wonderful plans and ideas, but dang! I'm a simple kinda man. I've got champagne taste with a beer budget... :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna go ghetto or anything like that, but it's deffo gonna be decent looking and at the least, functional. :)

Keep 'em coming! I'll cut and paste the ideas together! :D

I'm with Max I would love to know how to build one of those for 5 hundred. I just built a simple bi level step for my balcony and it cost almost that much :)

Ha sadly i haven't finished my architect degree yet, and LSU beat me too it haha. You might need a saw but i think you should be fine. I just did the calculations, and the frame that is described there, with corrugated plastic on the outside is around $832.20. But this is a very very rough estimate and could be different for your area. When i say corrugated plastic, i don't mean the stuff that is wavy, but the clear plastic material that looks like cardboard. I think it is a lot cheeper then the wavy stuff but for some reason i couldn't find it. Those plans show a much bigger place then the one you are looking to build. You can rescale everything down to the size you want, and save money. Also...i don't know about the cement blocks on the bottom. It might help with the tornado wind you guys get. but seems like more work that is not really needed. If i find a smoking deal on a greenhouse that looks like this i will let you know. But honestly you can build this for a lot less then you could buy a kit. And to know you built it yourself is kind of cool as well. :) hit me up if you have any more questions! I don't mind them at all!!! lol

ideas

I think it is very cool what you are trying to do. I have some concerns about controlling the temperature during the winter. I live in rockport tx and it is cold here for more than four to six weeks. I am pretty sure you would have to heat your cage quite a bit in the winter even if you put up barriers to block the screen and try to trap the heat in. The electric bill for that would be pretty high. As far as construction is concerned I would go 4x4 s four your corner posts 2x4s for your runners and cross braces. I would use screws to tie it all together. You can buy some L brackets and brackets that are made for the corners where you have three supports coming together. I built a small walk in cage out of pvc pipe and shrimp net. It is easy to move and I could take it down and put it up if I wanted since I did not glue it together. You would also have to treat your would several times to water proof it. Just a few things that come to mind. I would show you my cage but I have hell trying to post pics. It is cheap and easy. It doesn't have the best curb appeal but it is functional. If I did it again I would use screen to keep out all the insects around here. I have to watch my cham closely. He will eat anything when he is outside.

The structure in the blue prints are strong. 2x2s would work fine for the r'unners. Also verlathain is what you use to water proof and you only need three coats. Lastly have you ever been in a green house? I live in the mountains where it was 14 this noting and I walked I.to my greenhouse and it was 55 degrees. So I think he will be ok if he was to go that direction.

I did have concerns about heating during the winter. I checked some vids and after some research saw that the poly sheeting really retains heat. I think a simple room heater would suffice. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom