70 eggs

reptimanny

My chameleon just laid 70 eggs and i am so scared that my cham will die. i have heard of horror stories that chams die after major births. I am so astonished about how many came out of my cham considering that she looked tiny to begin with when she showed signs of digging and egg laying. I don't know what to do with the eggs now and what should i do to ensure the life expansion of my beloved female veiled cham. any help would be nice.

here they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• cham eggs.jpg
    cham eggs.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 196
I've never heard of 70 eggs in one laying!!! i hope your female won't have problems.. keep an eye on her!!

wow...mega clutch. Is that a leaf or a praying mantis in the bottom left of the egg photo ?

wow...mega clutch. Is that a leaf or a praying mantis in the bottom left of the egg photo ?

WOW now that i look at it it does look like a praying mantis but it's just some half buried leafs:p as for the clutch i recounted it and it looks like its more like 63. anyhoo some of the eggs look fuller than others(bigger rather) ill get a better pic.

I'm glad that the laying went well but you have got to cut back on her food and heat and get those clutches stopped or much smaller or I'm afraid you will loose her. Don't start cutting back until like Monday. Feed her really good the next couple of days and either give her some liquid calcium or heavily dust her feeders with calcium without d3 the next few days and give her plenty of water. Then starting next week you need to cut her back. This blog will tell you exactly how to do it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

I'm glad that the laying went well but you have got to cut back on her food and heat and get those clutches stopped or much smaller or I'm afraid you will loose her. Don't start cutting back until like Monday. Feed her really good the next couple of days and either give her some liquid calcium or heavily dust her feeders with calcium without d3 the next few days and give her plenty of water. Then starting next week you need to cut her back. This blog will tell you exactly how to do it. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

I didn't feed her much cause i heard that she will lay bigger clutch's and by the time she was ready to lay she was kinda tiny so i figured it was a false alarm but i put a laying bin just in case and she ended up laying this much so im hoping she will get through this.

Attachments

• all egg pic.jpg
    all egg pic.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 110
now that my cham has gone through her mega clutch would it be more stress on her to get some sun or better for her?

A littel sun will do her some good as long as you have no concerns with her. If she is acting normally again then let her get some sun - it'll make her feel a lot better.

Veileds can, and do, lay large clutches. My first female laid even larger clutches than yours (due to me overfeeding her and keeping her too hot). Her first clutch was 104 and her second was 102, both clutches were infertile. Sadly she died a month after laying her second clutch.

A littel sun will do her some good as long as you have no concerns with her. If she is acting normally again then let her get some sun - it'll make her feel a lot better.

Veileds can, and do, lay large clutches. My first female laid even larger clutches than yours (due to me overfeeding her and keeping her too hot). Her first clutch was 104 and her second was 102, both clutches were infertile. Sadly she died a month after laying her second clutch.

Thats what scares me, she seems fine, just a little weak from the birthing er hatching. I got some good advice from jannb about her feeding so i have been giving her some heavily calcium dusted crickets and plenty of water. she is still kinda dark.

Were you feeding every other day prior to her gestation period. If not thats what I would do after giving her a week or so to recover. She will be fine eatting only 4x a week and 5-7 feeders at each feeding. Depending on the size of the feeder given. If your feeding horns or silks you can go fewer than that.

Oh yeah and you might try raising her basking light a bit. Or go with a lower wattage bulb to reduce temps by a cpl of degress that can also help reduce clutch size.

Oh yeah and you might try raising her basking light a bit. Or go with a lower wattage bulb to reduce temps by a cpl of degress that can also help reduce clutch size.

It's been fairly hot here in california so i have been leaving the basking light off periodically turning it on throughout the day.

It's been fairly hot here in california so i have been leaving the basking light off periodically turning it on throughout the day.

Don't use a basking light at all with a female and I only feed my female three times a week.

Don't use a basking light at all with a female and I only feed my female three times a week.

like i said, it has been hot here so i rarely if anytime turn the basking light on. I have since fed her 4 crickets during each feeding and about 4-5 times a week. I have up'd her calcium intake because of the lack she might be having due to the large clutch. I of course gutloaded the crickets at the same time to ensure proper nutrition for her.

Back
Top Bottom