Albino Chameleon??

I was just wondering why there are no albino chameleons. Or if there are there must be very very few of them. Any info, pictures, or stories about them? Just curious.:rolleyes:

Appears to be a joke site whos real purpous is to promote cancer research i think (from first page link (bottom))

Yes, this site is a big, fat joke. However, the following is not:

According to the World Health Organization, more than 1.2 million people will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year worldwide. The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2008, approximately 211,240 women in the United States will be diagnosed invasive breast cancer (Stages I-IV). The chance of developing invasive breast cancer during a woman's lifetime is approximately 1 in 7 (13.4%). Another 58,490 women will be diagnosed with "in situ" breast cancer, a very early form of the disease. Though much less common, breast cancer also occurs in men. An estimated 1,690 cases will be diagnosed in men in 2008. It is estimated that 40,410 women and 460 men will die from breast cancer in the United States this year.

Lack of knowledge or just plain ignoring the problem solves nothing!

We at the "Flying Albino Chameleon in Association with Department of Ecology "(f.a.c.a.d.e.) fight to save our flying friends from extinction.

more...
http://www.freewebs.com/4fsm/newsarticle.htm

dumb follow-up question for Chris Anderson - what is a translucent veiled then? "Translucent" has to be "see thru" where "albino" is just lack of pigment. I've looked at pics of these and have never really seen much to be impressed about but it is probably difficult to see well in pictures. Is it some type of defect that occurs that is later bred for?

There are multiple pigment types in the skin of animals. Albinism is a reduction in melanin pigments. Albino animals are generally a yellowish color with red eyes due to the other pigments. Leucism is a reduction in all pigments. Partial Leucism is also called Pied or Piebald, which is what the translucents are. Completely leucistic animals are pure white with normally colored eyes.

Chris

dumb follow-up question for Chris Anderson - what is a translucent veiled then? "Translucent" has to be "see thru" where "albino" is just lack of pigment. I've looked at pics of these and have never really seen much to be impressed about but it is probably difficult to see well in pictures. Is it some type of defect that occurs that is later bred for?

I have seen pictures, and thought they were cute looking. Having seen them in real life, I now think they are gorgeous, especially the females. I guess it's each to their own, as with any animal. From the reading I have done, there doesn't seem to be any major issues with them.

Hey Chris, I remember that photo you linked to from years ago. Do you really think that female is albino? She just looks like one of the lighter phase females to me. That plus the reputation of Mr. Lilley, the owner of that business, and it being wild caught had always led us (CiN folk) to believe the claim was bogus.

Hey Chris, I remember that photo you linked to from years ago. Do you really think that female is albino? She just looks like one of the lighter phase females to me. That plus the reputation of Mr. Lilley, the owner of that business, and it being wild caught had always led us (CiN folk) to believe the claim was bogus.

I completely agree-- the animal in that photo looks to me like a lighter version (or ill/dehydrated) of the "red morph" of xantholophus. This has been discussed before here:

Albino Chameleon

I wish there were a better photo of the animal, but even with this low resolution photo, I'm almost convinced it is not an albino.

Cheers!

Fabián

Kent & Fabian,

I can't tell you for sure and I agree that the photo makes it look like it could be an overheated or ill animal. The only thing I have to go on, other then what is claimed on the site, is that if memory serves me, Don Wells told me that he had seen the animal in person and that it was in fact albino. Who really knows though. I've also heard rumors of an albino melleri that was supposed to be imported, I believe to Rob Trenor but I could be mistaken. At any rate, chameleons are fragile enough that many of these mutations/defects do not normally last long and are thus fairly rare.

Chris

At any rate, chameleons are fragile enough that many of these mutations/defects do not normally last long and are thus fairly rare.

Chris

That was what I was getting at, too. I could see an albino chameleon hatching into captivity and surviving to adulthood, but not in the wild. That one was wild-caught, again, if memory serves me, as well. Interesting if Don saw it and thought it was albino, though.

Yikes, an albino melleri! That would definitely be unprecedented.

Sorry I missed this post until now. Yeah, it's so difficult to know, especially with such low resolution photo, but if Don Wells maintains it was, in fact, an albino, then the claim carries some weight.

Cheers,

Fabián

Kent & Fabian,

I can't tell you for sure and I agree that the photo makes it look like it could be an overheated or ill animal. The only thing I have to go on, other then what is claimed on the site, is that if memory serves me, Don Wells told me that he had seen the animal in person and that it was in fact albino. Who really knows though. I've also heard rumors of an albino melleri that was supposed to be imported, I believe to Rob Trenor but I could be mistaken. At any rate, chameleons are fragile enough that many of these mutations/defects do not normally last long and are thus fairly rare.

Chris

Personally I think the translucents look absolutely disgusting, but I have had the fortune of seeing a leucistic male veiled about 10 years ago.

It was in a collection in Vancouver, the keeper called him a 'pastel' veiled, but it was completely white with some very lightly colored violet and yellow and orange stripes/spots.

To this day, with all the new panther morphs that have come in the last 10 years, that veiled was the most beautiful chameleon I've seen.

I wish I had a pic, but I was 14 at the time and digital cameras were too expensive back then haha.

As for albinos, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of them for the amount of veileds there are around!

I know this tread is from along time ago but I have a male pastel baby veiled chameleon that my girl laid and he is a very placid baby yeah he doesn’t change much in colour but he is so beautiful none the less

I think these are the closest you would be able to get to albino.
05B6630A-1E18-4028-B5BF-EF5FBCD68944.jpeg
6603F941-F14B-4E91-B570-88D3F4942554.jpeg
6F4C21AB-F356-4F4E-A495-738109560012.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom