Another one...what locale am I????

that's what I was thinking, though wasnt sure becuase I've never seen the green bars.

Nice cham!

Hey Chris,

I've been thinking about this one some more and I'm not so sure I'd be ready to put the Diego Suarez name on that guy just yet. While I would assume he is from somewhere in that general vicinity, I've not seen any Diego Suarez/Antsirana males that fired up with green bars like this one does. I don't have much time this morning but here are a couple links with pardalis in Madagascar for reference.

http://www.bluechameleons.se/pardalis_on_madagascar.htm

http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/pardalismorphs.html

Here is a panther I photographed in Antsiranana (Diego Suarez) that has the opposite set of green bars:

Fpardalis5-DiegoSuarez.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
This is not Sambava nor Diego Suarez for sure. He looks like Ampiskiana or crossed Nosy Mitsio. Anyway, nice looking cham.

Tom & Hotaro,

The photos of adult Ampiskiana that I've seen were also green bodied, not green bared. Do you have any photos of adult male Ampiskianas because I've only ever seen a few photos of adults?

Chris

WOW CHRIS WHAT CONTRAVERSY HAVE YOU STARTED???!!! LOL
IM TRYING TO GET MY MITSIO FIRED UP SO YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL! I WISH I WOULDVE GUESSED WHAT LOCALE HES FROM I COULD REALLY GO FOR A GRAVID PARSON'S!!!!!!!LOL :cool:

I agree with Clean Lines, I belive this is a deigo for sure. He has the same faint bars as mine, and when mine fires up the bars are green, and he has a yellow body. And check out the baring its almost the same pattern. I will try to take a pic of him tonight when he is sleeping so you can see.

SNB10550.jpg

Kent,

Yeah, it is, I just wasn't being clear in my wording. The opposite baring I was talking about is the background color. In some colored up animals though, it almost looks less background-like and more like alternating baring. Anyway, Chris' cham is unusual. I definitely don't think it is a Nosy Mitsio though and being that it is WC, I don't think it is a Nosy Mitsio hybrid. I'd like to see more photos of the Ampiskiana though still. It doesn't look like any of the photos I've seen of this locale but I've not seen many pics either.

Chris

Chris,

Gotcha. The green background colors are very similar but I've not seen any animals from Antsiranana with the type of lime green barring this guy has when fired. When fired up he looks more like an Ambilobe-type to me. As for the Ampiskianas, the ones I've seen looked similar to the inland forms from Antsiranana such as Joffreville, etc.

Camphibians,

Since we're using it as a reference, what is the history of your Antsiranana male? Is he wild caught?

In my humble opinion, captive animals that may or may not have come in with locality labeled (and accurate) are not as good a reference as pictures taken in Madagascar. Captive bred or hatched animals even less so.

Champhibians

Diego Suarez doesn`t have green bars when he fires up.
Nosy Mitsio has green body and green bars, so they aren`t visible but when he fires up, his body turns to yellow and the green bars are visible.

Pics of Diego Suarez

Pics of Nosy Mitsio

This one was sold as Ampiskiana at Hamm Show on 15th of March.

I would say that it`s Nosy Mitsio x Diego Suarez or maybe Sambava?
It`s really hard to say, what locale he is or if he is crossed.

Ok, well he is a WC so crosses are technically out unless you are talking about natural crosses :rolleyes: Though you all know how close Nosy Mitsio and Antsiranana. I feel pretty confident he is from the west coast of Antsirana. I think that a lot of the Diegos you see are from more the central or east coast (closer to Sambava) showing more reds in the barring. I will post pics of the other male I got from the same shipment soon when I get a little time.

Chris do you remember exactly where you were when you photographed that Diego?

Thanks,

Chris

CleanLineChameleons

I didn`t saw that you wrote, he is WC. So he is not crossed. But the green bars are very unusually on Diego and i have never seen such green color on Diego. Such green and yellow color has Mitsio. :)

Check this video. I think he is very similar to yours. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lSvvVhXp6k

wcchams047.jpg

couldnt get him completely fired up but now i do see a difference.your is most probably an east coast diego!either way awesome cham!cant wait to see him in a few months!he will be stunning!:cool:

Back
Top Bottom