Are these edible? i think their grasshoppers?

E46M3

what are they?

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 169
In the US we tend to call them grasshoppers. In other parts of the world they are locusts, at least from what I can tell by your photos. There is no taxonomic difference between locust and grasshopper species, and in English the term "locust" is used for grasshopper species. Grasshoppers/locusts are edible.

In the US we tend to call them grasshoppers. In other parts of the world they are locusts, at least from what I can tell by your photos. There is no taxonomic difference between locust and grasshopper species, and in English the term "locust" is used for grasshopper species. Grasshoppers/locusts are edible.

A locust is a species of grasshopper that has a "swarming hormone". When they come into contact with numerous other of their species they become gregarious.

I live by a field that has these everywhere. I'll have to go back and catch some more. They're the same color as the gravel that their in (a greyish camo color).

Also I would be careful with wild caught prey. They can be exposed to pesticides from a few miles away and come into an area that seems clean but really they are contaminated. I see that you are in Cali and farmers here love their pesticides. Maybe rinse them off before feeding them just as an extra cautionary measure. I wish I had them around I would love some free feeders.

I live by a field that has these everywhere. I'll have to go back and catch some more. They're the same color as the gravel that their in (a greyish camo color).

BE WARNED...if you live in an area where gardeners spray pesticides to control insects they could be contaminated. I tend to avoid using wild caught insects unless they are from a mopre remote natural area that is not sprayed with anything. A pesticide, fertilizer, or fungicides can kill your cham!

The so-called "lubber" grasshopper is also toxic. I think these are limited to the SE USA.

Back
Top Bottom