Baby panther hatched! Help!!

So several days ago it looked like our egg was shrinking but had a split in the side, I thought it wasn't going to hatch. I checked it tonight and saw just the head poking out but zero movement and everything was stiff, I thought I was too late. I gently squeezed it out of the egg, again no sign of life at all and please forgive me if this was the wrong thing to do, but after I gently pushed on its side a few times I stated to see it breathe!! It's now running around, very active. I have no idea what to do now. It was in a doubled container, one with green stuff and an outer one with water. I dumped the water (rinsed and dried it) and transferred the green stuff to the larger container with cham and a few leaves with stems from my other enclosure. What next?! He also has a wound like spot on his rear hip area, should this cause concern or normal?

Attachments

• 20240705_025033.jpg
    20240705_025033.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240705_023030.jpg
    20240705_023030.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 18
Is the wound like area the yolk sac? They do use those for the first few days for nutrition until desolved. I am not sure though. Cute baby!! I hope it does well for you! Hopefully someone with baby experience pipes in soon.
Congrats!!!

I also would place it in a nano enclosure with a plant, sticks and maybe a uvb light , no heat yet. Sorry I’m excited and nervous for you so trying to think of things until experienced keepers chime in. 😊if you can get a pic of the tail base maybe we can see if it’s a boy or girl too! 🥰

I also would place it in a nano enclosure with a plant, sticks and maybe a uvb light , no heat yet. Sorry I’m excited and nervous for you so trying to think of things until experienced keepers chime in. 😊if you can get a pic of the tail base maybe we can see if it’s a boy or girl

Going downstairs to set up its nano now! I'll definitely need some help deciding which uv lights are best. Thank you, I'm so nervous but it's so cute! The stripe is very pronounced on its side but we'll see! I'll try to get a pic soon!

Is the wound like area the yolk sac? They do use those for the first few days for nutrition until desolved. I am not sure though. Cute baby!! I hope it does well for you! Hopefully someone with baby experience pipes in soon.
Congrats!!!
I'm thinking so, I read about that last night after I posted, praying I didn't do any damage, would have been better to be posting patient in hindsight but really thought it was too late. I hadn't read up on it before because we were basically told it will just start running around in there and it never formed sweat or anything like that so I was certain it didn't make it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm thinking so, I read about that lady night after I posted, praying I didn't do any damage, would have been better to be posting patient in hindsight but really thought it was too late. I hadn't read up on it before because we were basically told it will just start running around in there and it never formed sweat or anything like that so I was certain it didn't make it. Thanks!
Looks like everything turned out ok so far. 😊 we all panic sometimes.

Going downstairs to set up its nano now! I'll definitely need some help deciding which uv lights are best. Thank you, I'm so nervous but it's so cute! The stripe is very pronounced on its side but we'll see! I'll try to get a pic soon!
I would use the same as used for adults on the uvb light. T5 ho 6% Arcadia bulb repti zoo has a 5% that’s acceptable also I believe. Lee it a good 8-9 inches away to get the 3 uvi recommended. But be careful babies are fragile as you know. If that’s not right, someone will correct me, but I’m pretty sure I’m close.

I would use the same as used for adults on the uvb light. T5 ho 6% Arcadia bulb repti zoo has a 5% that’s acceptable also I believe. Lee it a good 8-9 inches away to get the 3 uvi recommended. But be careful babies are fragile as you know. If that’s not right, someone will correct me, but I’m pretty sure I’m close.
The mini bulb or the huge size I have for my adults? Is it ok to handle the baby?

The mini bulb or the huge size I have for my adults? Is it ok to handle the baby?
The normal one works just check strength to height of bulb if you can. It’s just like the adults. For uvb, no basking is needed right now the uvb is enough for a while, at least a few weeks if not longer I believe

Please post a couple more photos of the baby showing the lump by its back leg.

Was it born with an “umbilical cord”? Egg yolk still attached?

If it’s active, it can be put into its cage. You need to figure out what is going on with that lump though.

Last edited:
Please post a couple more photos of the baby showing the lump by its back leg.

Was it born with an “umbilical cord”? Egg yolk still attached?

If it’s active, it can be put into its cage. You need to figure out what is going on with that lump though.
I'm not sure, attaching more pics. He's very active, moving around well but that area looks black now, I can't imagine that's a good thing. Substrate is stuck to it

Attachments

• 20240705_023030.jpg
    20240705_023030.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240705_023018.jpg
    20240705_023018.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240705_113335.jpg
    20240705_113335.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240705_022610.jpg
    20240705_022610.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240705_114926.jpg
    20240705_114926.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240705_115230.jpg
    20240705_115230.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240705_115237.jpg
    20240705_115237.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 21
For the UVB you would use a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% light but you would lift this up off the top of the cage about 4-5 inches. This way if the baby screen climbs it is not in an overexposure level. Then branches sitting down from the screen top about 4 inches at the highest in the nano. No heat bulb on baby it will dehydrate it.

Live plants in the baby cage too. with tiny branches. Your going to need a ton of fruitflies. You can use a small shallow dish put a slice of banana in it then pour the flies onto that. Then they will stay in the dish rather than go everywhere in the nano set up.

For the UVB you would use a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% light but you would lift this up off the top of the cage about 4-5 inches. This way if the baby screen climbs it is not in an overexposure level. Then branches sitting down from the screen top about 4 inches at the highest in the nano. No heat bulb on baby it will dehydrate it.

Live plants in the baby cage too. with tiny branches. Your going to need a ton of fruitflies. You can use a small shallow dish put a slice of banana in it then pour the flies onto that. Then they will stay in the dish rather than go everywhere in the nano set up.
Ok and not pin head crickets? A reptile store had said they are more nutritious than fruit flies?

Attachments

• 17201949853855097132083564558963.jpg
    17201949853855097132083564558963.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm not sure, attaching more pics. He's very active, moving around well but that area looks black now, I can't imagine that's a good thing. Substrate is stuck to it

I’ve never seen anything like that before. I wonder if you could have injured him squeezing him out of the egg. It’s best to let them get out of the egg on their own. It just takes time. Sometimes all day and even overnight.

I’ve never seen anything like that before. I wonder if you could have injured him squeezing him out of the egg. It’s best to let them get out of the egg on their own. It just takes time. Sometimes all day and even overnight.
I'm afraid I may have, I thought for sure the egg was failed so really didn't read up beforehand, wish I would have. He's moving well and just ate a fruit fly so hopefully it's ok

Back
Top Bottom