Baby yellow-lip Parson

We should not let this person be a part of the CF, his Parson are most likely illegal too. I will not give advice to someone who supports the capture of endangered animals.

I never ask an advice from you do i ? You can always ask the admin to disable my account anytime and i welcome you to do that if you can

The best thing you can do to conserve Parsons Chameleons is make a contribution that goes to conserving and restoring Parsons Chameleon habitat in Madagascar as they are listed as a threatened and not listed as endangered. As with the Ploughshare tortoise with only 200 left in the wild and from what was posted no breeding programs to see an openly shown wild caught animal being proudly posted on an international forum greatly upsets me.
I think you got it wrong. I never post the tortoise in the forum is only someone saw my avatar and asked about it and i just don't lie to tell the truth

200 animals left? Would love to see Zoos or Madagascar start a captive breeding program for them.

200 mature (adult) animals. There is a captive breeding program for this species run in collaboration between Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (then the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust) and the Water and Forests Department of the Madagascar Government but unless they can stop the illegal collection of these animals, releasing the babies they produce is a waste of years of effort.

Chris

Thought I'd post this article. In the last 2 months, 2 shipments of endangered Malagasy tortoises have been caught and confiscated coming into Malaysia alone (who knows how many made it through that they didn't catch, let alone going into other countries). In those two shipments alone, there were 654 Radiated Tortoises, 14 Spider Tortoises, and 6 Ploughshare tortoises: http://www.traffic.org/home/2010/7/16/hundreds-of-malagasy-tortoises-seized-in-malaysia.html According to the information I posted before with "poaching levels as low as three animals every two years...the species is nearly certain to go extinct within the next generation". Thanks for your contribution, karum!

Chris

By purchasing anything endangered you are showing(supporting) the poachers
that there is money to be made in their "trade".
With no money to be made the poachers wouldn't take the risk.

I hear you dude!!!!

But its a fine line between does the cham (that has already been taken from the wild!!!) go to an owner who has experience or someone who has little experience. I dont condone this at al!!!!!!!! but i glad it has gone to someone who knows how to care for chams

But i DO NOT think taking chams from the Wild weither or not they are endangerted or not is by any means good!!!!

I think you got it wrong. I never post the tortoise in the forum is only someone saw my avatar and asked about it and i just don't lie to tell the truth

I have got the same problem with that (I appreciate your honesty) you know it is an endangered species that has got serious problems and you are openly contributing to the species demise. That is not conservation I can approve or healthy business practice to be shown on an international forum. Your tortoise belongs in a breeding program then once the species is removed from the endangered species list to start considering one for the hobby.

Last edited:
Parsons chameleons look so wise, and that skin looks very different from other chams. Nice!

I've seen them in the wild...their skin isn't really different, just has less variation in the texture (less pebbly). The rostrals and facial ridges can be massive in mature animals. I've always wondered about the white side spots...they vary a lot, but almost always there to some degree. Wonder why it is there at all considering there isn't really any white anywhere else and it shows during most color phase changes.

IMHO it's not realistic to expect that demand for an endangered species will ever disappear completely. Seems like there is always someone who just has to get something others can't...whether it is alive, dead, skinned or stuffed, cooked, ground into some silly aphrodesiac (why is it always an aphrodesiac??? As if we don't have too many unwanted kids or testosterone induced violence on the planet now). Don't hold your breath. Poachers know they can always find a buyer.

Whether your tortoise was ever mentioned on the forum or not isn't the point Karum. Discussions about your parsonii (given that it's source can't be confirmed either way) may be welcome. Displaying an obviously illegal animal in your avatar is just inviting questions and concerns from forum members. If you choose to advertise what you own this is part of the price.

Back
Top Bottom