Breeding Panthers

hummer121

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knew of a good website that can offer information with regards to breeding panthers. I am looking for info with regards to increasing supplements prior to breeding if needed, how long to leave the male and female together etc. Looking for almost a play by play handbook similar to requirements for keeping chams. Thanks all.

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knew of a good website that can offer information with regards to breeding panthers. I am looking for info with regards to increasing supplements prior to breeding if needed, how long to leave the male and female together etc. Looking for almost a play by play handbook similar to requirements for keeping chams. Thanks all.

Thers no real webiste i know of.
Just post your quetions here, and people who have bred panthers will respond.

To mate the chameleons I take the female and hold her outside the male's cage and watch for the reactions. If the female hisses, inflates her body, gapes, turns dark in color, lunges at the male, rocks back and forth, then she is not receptive and you can put her back into her own cage and try again in a few days.

If the female remains calm, walks slowly away from the male, does not inflate her body or darken her colors, she is likely receptive...so if the male reacts to her (head bobbing, approaching her to mount her, etc.) in a way that indicates he realizes she's a receptive female they can be put together.

Signs that the male does not realize she's a receptive female are those he would show to another male in aggression (hissing, gaping, rocking, etc.).

Once they are put together you can leave them together until the female starts to reject the male by hissing, rocking back and forth, darkening her colors, etc. She should be removed as soon as she starts acting this way so there will be no fighting.

How long after should I get something ready for her to lay the eggs and do i use that container for the incubator?

You said.."How long after should I get something ready for her to lay the eggs and do i use that container for the incubator?"...if she's sexually mature there should already be an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" filled with washed playsand in her cage so she has a place to dig to lay eggs. If mated the eggs should be laid about 30 days after the mating, but sometimes they lay them earlier if they are too far along when the mating occurs.

Once she starts to dig you have two options...either let her lay them in that container or move her to another large container that you have set up as an egglaying site. I've found that most of them will lay them in the opaque container in the cage but a few are "stubborn" and prefer the larger bin. I use a 65 liter rubbermaid type container with a lid. I cut away most of the lid and put screen over the hole that I made in the lid. I fill the container about 15" deep with washed playsand and add a branch for her to sit on when she's in there. When the chameleon shows me that she is ready to lay the eggs (by digging in the opaque container in her cage) I move her to the large container and put the lid on and lay a light across the lid so that she can see and won't be cold. Just don't bake her! Remember its a closed container!

While she is digging do not let her see you watching her...she will likely abandon the hole and if it happens often enough it can lead to eggbinding.

She may dig several test holes before settling on one but once she has settled on one she will continue to dig it until she is satisfied with it. It may be a day or it may be a couple of days. When she's satisfied, she will turn around butt down (usually in the evening) and lay the eggs, fill in the hole, tamp it down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty.

Regarding using the same container for the incubator....I use shoebox sized tupperware type containers for incubating the eggs in. I fill them about half full of barely moist vermiculite (coarse grained). To test the moisture level of the vermiculite, take a hand full of the moist vermiculite and if you can only squeeze a drop or two of water out of it, it should be right. I leave "head room" in the containers so that when the babies hatch they have room to move around in the container until then can be moved to a cage.

After the female has laid the eggs, filled in the hole and returned to the branches, you can dig up the eggs and lay them in rows in the vermiculite about 1" apart in all directions. I punch two tiny tiny holes in the lid of the shoebox sized containers and put the lids on and incubate the eggs. Moisture will form on the underside of the lid and on the inside of the walls of the containers.

Good luck and patience!

Thanks for all the advice. The female is approaching a year old and I will introduce her to a male faly in the next couple of months. Just doing my research.

Back
Top Bottom